Change to Daylight Savings Time

What’s the easiest way to change my PMP450s from standard time to daylight time?
There doesn’t appear to be any way this is directly accessible in cnMaestro, correct?
I could push a cfg update job using cnMaestro but this seems like something that should be built in and I’m mostly wondering if I might be missing something.
I don’t really have a compelling reason to care if it’s not set correctly - it just rubs me the wrong way not to have it correct :slight_smile:

Idea post … Automation of change from standard to daylight savings time

Don

1 Like

If all else fails, you could move to Arizona. No DST there. LOL.

4 Likes

We use ntp servers that then sync the AP time automatically (set on the configuration->time tab in the AP)

1 Like

Thanks rnelson. Yes, we also use NTP servers and set the server configuration on the Time tab.
But the NTP server doesn’t give the time zone. The time zone needs to be set on the time tab and I’m not aware of any way to automate the spring forward and fall back. If you are doing something automatically I’d love to know what it is.
Don

Ours synced automatically with the clock and adjusted daylight savings time. Double checked and it looks like ours allows GPS to set the time in addition to the NTP server. Maybe try that?

Hi rnelson
Thanks - I appreciate your replies to my question.
We have had “Allow GPS to set System Time” enabled since our APs were installed. Everything on my time screen looks the same as what you have shared. (Except we are now set to Mountain Daylight Time.) Sorry if I’m being dense or stubborn but… :slight_smile:

How confident are you that your AP isn’t permanently set to PDT and that it didn’t show PDT back in January when it should have showed PST? If your were to set your AP to PST using the pick list at the top would your NTP and/or GPS override this and force it back to PDT?

Don

Ok just tried it on an AP and you are correct. We must have set that AP in my screenshot up during PDT. The Cambium device does not switch from PST → PDT on GPS or NTP sync.

1 Like

FYI I would not recommend leaving enabled “Allow GPS to set System Time.” I recommend using NTP. There are some really old GPS chips out there that report the wrong time occasionally. NTP is much more stable. But if or some reason you don’t have access to any NTP server, then sure can use the time from GPS.

1 Like

Thanks Charlie. We haven’t ever really paid much attention to this setting - I think we just went with the default. I see that it can be changed without a reboot so we will make this change for the APs in our network.
Don

1 Like

3 Likes

So you want to solve the “Spring Forward” problem, but then how will you deal with adding back in an hour in the fall which duplicates the previous 60 minute time slot? If you don’t understand the issue, ask your local 9-1-1 center about calls that come in on that magic November Saturday night around 2 PM when the bars close.
I suggest that instead you set your network to UTC, which by international definition does not shift in spring or fall. Many countries and multinational companies have been running their data centers that way for decades now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.