CMM Micro Sync problem going insane please help

Hi to all,

I am stuck with this problem for a week now and I dont know what seems tobe the problem. My phone keeps ringing form angry clients and I hardly can figure out what seems to be the problem so I would appreciate any help. The situation is the following:
I have two APs, A and B conected to the cmm micro on port 1 and 2, port 3 is for internet connection.
The AP B is connected with AP A via timing port cable.
The gps is connected to the cmm micro and it shows 8 satellites.
AP A is set to generate sync and is working fine. However if I put receive from power power says no sync.
AP B was working fine with receiving from timing port while A is set to generate sync but then it stopped working and it says no sync.
I set the AP B receive from power port and it says receiving sync while the same thing on AP A was not working.
No my last config is AP A generating sync and is working fine. The AP generate from power port and is receiving sync but my clients loose connection. This was not happening until recently with the setting AP A generate sync and AP B receive sync from timing port.
Now I dont understand what I am doing wrong and why I cannot simple configure the sync on the AP and why the APs dont want to receive the sync from the cmm micro.
As far as I know the configuration I have should be configured as AP A receive from power port, and AP B receive from timing port. And the sync that way will be comming from gps. However this is not working and as I said Ihave the above problem with sync on the second AP.
I appreciate any help because a week has passed and I am still at the same place with the same problem. :frowning:

Thanks
Alex

Just to add couple of things.

The time on both APs is set to receive from NTP and the NTP address is the address of the micro. The APs are not receiving the time from the NTP/CMMmicro. The time on the CMM micro says correct GMT while on the AP starts from the time I applied to receive from NTP 00.00.00 and goes.

Second thing currently AP B set to generate sync and the AP A receive from timing port is working with sync on both sides and the opposite configuration AP A generate and AP B receive from timing port is not working.

There may be a problem with Ap A if it will not sync to receive on power port,( are you powering the units via the cmm micro?

This is what I would do.

Set Ap B to sync to receive on power port, (on your timming cable use only pins 1 and 6)connect the timming cable From Ap B to Ap A then set Ap A to sync to receive on timming port

This should correct your timming issue’s with the Ap’s

Do you have any other equipment at this location?

I would Also try to Get Ap A Fixed, it may need to be sent in for repair.

I have used this set-up and it worked good

Have you checked the connectors on the cable for Ap A? or switched it to a different port in the cmm micro?

Hi Clueless

Thanks for the help.Yes both units power via cmm micro.
I tried setting up B to power from power port and I set A to power from timing port and I used a straight 6 pin cable to connect them. I changed the cable 3 times and still the same the second A says error sync problem. Basically whatever AP I put to sync from power port it does not forward the sync to the second one. When I put one to generate and pass to the second one it works until it stops then I make the second one to generate and let the first one receive until that works and I keep doing that. I changed all cables several times both the ethernet cables and the timing cable between the APs. I even changed the power over ethernet adapters. The Aps dont even want to receive the time from the cmm micro when set as NTP.
Status on CMM micro
Device type CMM 0a-00-3e-e0-18-78
PLD Version 5
Software Version CANOPY CMM 2.0.8 Nov 14 2003 14:11:10
System Time 02:04:39pm Sun Aug 19 2007
Up Time 05:03:08
Satellites Visible 9
Satellites Tracked 7
Latitude N41 58.5830
Longitude E21 24.3960
Height 639 meters
Tracking Mode 3D Fix
SYNC Pulse Status SYNC OK

Status time on Aps
Current System Time
System Time : 04:58:33 01/01/2001

The latest is I put both APs to sync from power port and both did sync, the time is still does not come from the gps.

Both AP’s should be set to receive sync on Power Port.

NTP needs to be an NTP server inside your network, the CMM will not prove NTP to the AP’s.

Spend some time with the manual…

The NTP system time and Date doesn’t come from the cmm micro and has nothing to do the the sync timming, if the units will sync from power port you should leave them there.

You can put this ip in the NTP for the system time and Date. 192.43.244.18 it will be off a little but will give you something to work with.

Thank you ALL

I put both APs on receive from power port and so far everything looks ok. As for the NTP I have already in my network an NTP server so I put that one in instead of CMM Micro ( I know I read somewhere that cmm provides the timing but it might have been cmm not cmm micro). However the time still does not come from the NTP server although it is within my network. On the APs it says Last NTP Time Update : 00:00:00 00/00/0000.

Regards
Alex

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Both AP's should be set to receive sync on Power Port.

NTP needs to be an NTP server inside your network, the CMM will not prove NTP to the AP's.

Spend some time with the manual.....

A CMM micro is actually an NTP server(with newer firmware). If you put the IP of the CMM into the NTP setting on the APs they'll get the time/date.
molcomp wrote:
Thank you ALL

I put both APs on receive from power port and so far everything looks ok. As for the NTP I have already in my network an NTP server so I put that one in instead of CMM Micro ( I know I read somewhere that cmm provides the timing but it might have been cmm not cmm micro). However the time still does not come from the NTP server although it is within my network. On the APs it says Last NTP Time Update : 00:00:00 00/00/0000.

Regards
Alex

Is your NTP server on the same subnet as your APs or do your APs have a gateway IP set?