CMM Routing?

I’m a newbie to the Canopy products. My organization uses 4 20Mbit 5.7Ghz point-to-point Backhauls to connect to 4 remote locations to our network.

I am using routers to help keep local traffic at the sites local and reduce the amount of traffic across the wireless links. All 4 radios point back to one main site where the Canopy CMM is located. I’m having a routing issue because of the CMM.

Regardless of the details of the routing issue, my question is: Is it possible to bypass the CMM and plug radios into my network directly. I have a network that is moving routed traffic that runs into this CMM which from what I can tell acts as a hub. If the CMM is necessary, is there any way to make the CMM routable?

Thanks for any kind of suggestions.

>If the CMM is necessary, is there any way to make the CMM routable?

The CMM typically provides power-over-Ethernet to the units, as well as GPS timing to keep the radios synchronized (prevent interference). I would recommend keeping the CMM in the loop.

The CMM is a layer 2 Ethernet switch, so it does not have routing functions.

If you could elaborate on your specific issue, maybe with a logical & physical diagram, we can surely get you fixed up.

The following diagram is a simplified view of the problem I’m having. I just threw this together so sorry if it is not clear.

The “before” diagram shows the layout of the network with some older Cisco wireless equipment (I’m not sure of the exact equipment as I’ve inherited this problem and can’t find much documentation.) The two radios plugged directly into the back of the routers.

After the upgrade to the Canopy radios, the CMM was thrown into the mix. The Canopy radios are now plugged into the CMM and the existing routers are both plugged into the CMM (which I realize doesn’t make much sense).

I believe that there are some routing loops between the CMM and the main network (110 subnet) because of this setup. And another obvious symptom is that 111 IP address are being given to the 112 segment and vice versa.

I realize this is a networking issue, but it seems to me it is coming down to the CMM. I would like my traffic to be seperated but it isn’t clear to me how to do that through the CMM. Hopefully I’ve made my situation a little more clearer. Any suggestions?

http://cole.smugmug.com/photos/72963262-M.jpg

Take a look at the CMM Micro software release 2.2. It supports VLANs. I believe that could be a solution to your problem

sivanisky wrote:
Take a look at the CMM Micro software release 2.2. It supports VLANs. I believe that could be a solution to your problem

Thanks! I'll pursue that. My current CMM software is at version 2.1.3.

The Routers are both tied to the CMM (Ethernet Switch with POE), and from there the rest of the network is bridged so everything sees everything.

You have a CMM so the GPS timing is sent to the BH’s via the RJ11 timing port. You could make custom cables that allows you to put the router between the CMM and the BH and still pass POE to the BH.

From BH1:
1, 2, 3, 6 to the Router (DATA)
4, 5, 7, 8 to the CMM Port 1 (POE)

From the Router:
1, 2, 3, 6 to the CMM Port 1

repeat for each BH

By the way, if you had a CMMmicro the GPS Timing rides on the POE power so this wouldn’t work.

Of course you can always get into VLAN management…

Thanks for the reply. I think I’m going to try upgrading the CMM to the 2.2 version and try using the new Port-Based Vlan Switching feature.

I’m hoping that this will allow me to designate which radios can talk to which routers and simulate the “direct” connection to the network that I had before the CMM.

That seems like it would work to me. Am I overlooking something? If not, I’ll let you know how it turns out!

I upgraded the CMM firmware to version 2.2 and used the Port Based Vlan switching to map the router ports to their respective radio ports. So far so good. Everyone is up and I will be doing some more testing to see if this actually fixed the problem.

If you see a reason why it wouldn’t work, still let me know.

Thanks so much for the help.