This is a beta release of cnArcher, an Android app intended to simplify installation of Cambium PMP SMs.
Specifically, the app aids in reducing an SM’s channel scan list to speed up AP evaluations, simplifies available AP details, sets the SM’s color code, helps align the SM, runs a link test and configures the SM’s latitude/longitude and other parameters so that network connectivity can be obtained.
Furthermore, if the installer’s organization is using cnMaestro, the installer can upgrade the device software, apply a configuration template (including device specific variables) and finally onboard the SM into cnMaestro.
The app communicates to the SM’s LAN port over the Android device’s WiFi. A portable WiFi AP can be used to establish this link.
For reference, the following hand-held battery/WiFi AP/PoE device has been tested with PMP devices. It provides the additional convenience of powering the SM.
GETTING STARTED – APP INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION
1) If using cnMaestro in conjunction with cnArcher, make sure each installer has a cnMaestro login/password.
For cnMaestro cloud, also define an Onboarding Key for each installer in cnMaestro. Refer to the cnMaestro’s Onboard DevicesàClaim from Device screen.
For cnMaestro on-premises, by default, the onboarding key is not used. If the cnMaestro administrator has required it, then refer to the cnMaestro’s Onboard DevicesàClaim from Device screen.
2) Each installer should have a portable WiFi AP that with a LAN cable that can connect to the PMP SM’s LAN port. The WiFi AP should be in bridge mode as it will simply act as a pass-through connecting the installer’s Android device to the SM’s LAN interface.
Cambium has validated the following the following hand-held battery/WiFi AP/PoE device which has the additional convenience of powering the SM.
3) Upon starting cnArcher for the first time, the installer will be asked to provide details about their cnMaestro account (optional), connect to the installer’s portable WiFi AP and enter basic PMP SM configuration details. These can always be updated in the future via the app main menu’s SETTINGS page.
Note: Some ISPs may choose to provide their installers a list of all of the PMP AP frequencies used throughout the network in each band (i.e. 5.7, 5.4, 5.2, 5.1, 4.9, 3, 2.4 GHz and 900 MHz). This can be used to have a common channel scan list when performing AP evaluations in the field.
If you are just getting started with cnArcher, check out the “Demo Mode” feature from the app’s main menu. When in demo mode, you can step through the cnArcher installation sequence without actually having a PMP SM. The app simulates that you are installing a 5 GHz PMP SM.
INSTALLING A PMP SM
1) Power up the portable WiFi AP and connect the Ethernet cable to the SM’s LAN interface.
2) Power up the PMP SM.
3) Start the app.
4) The app home page will display the app’s connection status to the SM. If connectivity to the SM is not established, check the app’s WiFi configuration and the SM’s LAN IP address. Both of these can be edited from the app’s home page (or SETTINGS page).
5) if an external antenna is being used (i.e. dish, clip, etc), change this setting in the home page.
6) If necessary, edit the PMP scan list from the app’s home page (or SETTINGS page).
7) Click on the CONFIGURE SCAN LIST button.
8) Set the SM’s encryption (none/DES or AES) and security (i.e. AP pre-shared key or Cambium RADIUS certificate).
9) Point the SM toward the expected best AP/tower. Run the AP Evalaution.
NOTE: If the installer anticipates running multiple AP evaluations, an optional tag exists to help the installer interpret the final list of discovered APs. For example, tags of “North” and “Southeast” might be used to differentiate two different AP evaluation results.)
10) Select the desired AP. Results will be listed so the AP with the strongest RSSI will be listed first.
NOTE: If an additional AP Evaluation needs to be run, scroll to the bottom of the results list to start another evaluation.
11) After selecting the desired AP, the app will configure the SM’s color code for that AP. Now, cnArcher to optimize the SM’s allgnment to maximize the receive signal strength. Mechanically secure the SM in it’s final position and then click the “DONE” button.
12) cnArcher will run a link test. If the results are acceptable, click “Done”. Otherwise, go back to re-allign.
13) Use cnArcher’s IP configuration page to configure parameters necessary to establish network connectivity (i.e. Static/DHCP, Management/Data VLANs, etc.). The app will make the required changes and reboot the SM, if necessary.
14) For cnArcher installers that are not using cnMaestro, the cnArcher workflow is complete. The SM will now provide network connectivity to clients connected to the SM.
If using cnMaestro with cnArcher
1) cnArcher will display a cnMaestro login page. Click login. For cnMaestro cloud users, select the Cambium ID of the desired cnMaestro account.
2) Each of the following fields is optional: edit the cnMaestro comment field, set a device software version or select a cnMaestro configuration template. If the template includes device variables, edit those fields as well.
cnMaestro Note: cnMaestro’s configuration template “Variables” allow a configuration template to be used across many PMP SMs while each SM may have unique settings for the template parameters defined to be “variables”.
3) Click the “ONBOARD” button and wait for the device updates to be completed. At that point, the SM should be onboarded into cnMaestro (including the SM location on the cnMaestro physical map).
1) If at any point during the cnArcher SM installation, the user would like to abandon the installation and re-start, click on the main menu “CANCEL INSTALLATION” option. This will return cnArcher to the beginning state for an SM installation.
2) For additional comments or questions, please refer to the “cnArcher Beta” community forum.