I’m honestly not sure the point of jumping through those hoops at this point in time (while we still have the 90-day trial). If the switching & AP portfolio gets picked up by someone else, then I’ll deal with it… but otherwise, I’m assuming our new onprem cnMaestro is going to get converted to a no-license version somehow, at which point I won’t need the cloud licenses anymore.
To that end, can you (or anybody else who is still with Cambium) comment on how the “fully unlocked” onprem server will be deployed? Will it be available as an OVA or some sort of “upgrade” package to apply to an existing VM? Or will I need to spin up an entirely new VM, and potentially have to go through the process to “migrate” all of my devices from the existing onprem server to a new one?
That’s perfectly fine. The trial license is more convenient than fixed licenses anyway, because you can onboard as many devices as you like, rather than being limited to the number of licenses you’ve purchased…
I don’t have any inside knowledge, but I would expect it to be shipped just like any other update, to be applied in-place.
Especially fitting for us, since we have been using two cloud instances - one for non-X stuff and the other for X-enabled. I don’t really want to run two onprem controllers if I don’t have to, so I’ve just been moving everything to the single instance under the assumption that it’s eventually going to be license-free. Honestly, the way that it wasn’t possible to combine X and Essentials devices on the same controller seemed like a poor choice.
If I had maintained the licensing split while migrating to onprem, and then we get a licenseless option in a month… I would’ve had to move one chunk of stuff another time (to consolidate to one cnMaestro) which I really don’t want to do. The migration process can be rough, especially with cnMatrix switches that have per-device port overrides in place (since they’re not exported as part of the Switch Group).
WiFi Done Right LLC is a team of former Cambium employees with experience in technical training and enablement, support, professional services, and solutions architecture. We have worked closely with customers using cnMaestro, Cambium Enterprise Wi-Fi, switching, and related solutions. References from former Cambium employees, including sales, services and engineering, are available upon request.
We have already successfully assisted with cnMaestro migrations for organizations of various sizes, including large environments.
If your organization still needs to prepare for this transition and/or ongoing professional services/support, we would be happy to schedule a brief call to discuss your current environment and what migration and/or services would be the right fit for your company. You can reach us at support@wi-fidoneright.com .