cnMaestro External Guest Hotspot via Mikrotik

Hi

can any one help me how to setup an external hotspot via mikrotik? I am trying make users authenticate through mikrotik.

please help :-(

You can select "External Hotspot" under the "Guest Access" settings of your WLAN. From here you need to add the details about your hotspot setup and Mikrotik router.

hi, 

you need to decide below taks, who is doing what for guest access purpose ,

1. Login / landing page is served from Mikrotik router or

2. Login / landing page is serverd from cnPilot AP

3. How users needs to be authenticated like guest access users authentication using RADIUS server, mikrotik router can act like RADIUS server 

4. If Mikrotik router is cable of hosting guest access server, then it can be normal WLAN on cnPilot AP

If you can explain entire work flow (right from use connecting to ssid, to getting ip addressa and doing guest access authentication) with detailed requirments, we shall be able help in better 

In my experience,

1. I create a hotspot with a VLAN tag in Mikrotik and make DHCP per VLAN.

2. tag VLAN in WLAN. (eg. Guest - VLAN 10)

3. open trunk port VLAN 1 and allowed VLAN 10.

That fine. and working well. 

1 Like

ok, it is working as per your requirment! no additional requirment!

Same for me, without using external hotspot inside the AP

Hello,

I’m working on a setup where I’m using a MikroTik router’s Hotspot feature as a captive portal and user database. I’m facing issues with users successfully authenticating through the portal when connecting to a Cambium AP.

Here’s my configuration:

• Guest Access on Cambium AP: Configured for external Hotspot.
  • Authentication Options: Tried both click-through and RADIUS, neither fully succeed.
  • MikroTik Router: IP address added to the AP with the correct Hotspot URL. I can connect to the relevant SSID and sometimes see the MikroTik’s captive portal. Login works, but internet access is not granted.
  • Internet Connectivity: Verified as working on the router.
  • HTTPS: I’ve enabled HTTPS for authentication (using a valid SSL certificate)

My Understanding: RouterOS Hotspot functions as a RADIUS client, not a server. I prefer to keep my existing Hotspot user profile scripts and avoid switching to UserManager.

Questions and Troubleshooting:

1. Authentication Protocol: Can anyone confirm expected authentication protocols between the MikroTik Hotspot and Cambium AP? Are there specific settings I need to verify on the AP side?
  2. RADIUS: If RADIUS is involved, are any additional steps required on the MikroTik besides the basic configuration?
  3. Firewall: Could firewall rules on the MikroTik be interfering with post-authentication traffic?

Thank you in advance for any insights or suggestions!