CnPilot E600 - Link aggregation (LAG)

Is it possible to combine both ethernet ports into a LAG interface on the CnPilot E600 with the latest firmware (3.10.1 / 7-Mar-19)?

https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnPilot-E-Series-Enterprise-APs/combine-ETH1-and-ETH2-into-LAG-interface/m-p/80055#M2384

"We are looking at adding support for link aggregation early next year. - 11-04-2017"

We're 2019 now, am I overlooking this function in the documentation? Or has this not been implemented yet? If so, is this still on the agenda?

Regarding the manual, max throughput for e600 is 1300mbps so i dont see to much reasons for lag support.
I think that cambium has plenty other features to add, things to fix than add lag feature (as you mentioned, now is 2019…

We intend to release Link Aggregation on cnPilot e600 and e700 as part of our 4.0 software release in June.

The firmware is in QA now, we'll have a beta version out in late April.

3 Likes

Is there a possibility to get our hands on the beta version? I can't seem to find it at the support center where I can download the other (non-beta) firmwares.

Any news on availabilty of beta versions?

Is version 4.0 released yet? I can't find it on the support/download page.
Has Link aggregation (LAG) been implemented in the 3.1.1 version yet?

Hi,

Any news about the 4.0 release?

Is lacp integrated in the E410_E430_E600_E700-3.11.2-r2.img?

Why would you need it?  I challenge anyone to show me a maxed out 1Gbps switch port in any real world situation.  Even at MCS9 with 4 streams you are looking at 1300Mbps half duplex + 150Mbps on 2.4GHz(no you will not use 40 or 80MHz channels on 2.4GHz in any real world situation) and you have 1450 Mbps).  Even with low overhead you are looking at 10% reduction in rate so you are now at 1300Mbps.  Have 90% average rate in the down stream you are looking at 1170 on the interface.  So basically unless you only have 2 uses sitting under the AP pulling max traffic downstream using UDP there is no way you are going to max out a 1Gbps switch port.  Also best practice design with 5GHz still only uses 20 and 40MHz channels.  Basically its not worth the expense of pulling the extra cable.

1 Like

@itsupport71 wrote:

Hi,

Any news about the 4.0 release?

Is lacp integrated in the E410_E430_E600_E700-3.11.2-r2.img?

4.0 release (with LACP support) is in beta and e410/e600 beta firmware (NOT for production environment, just beta testing) can be downloaded from:

https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/e410/beta

Thank you for the long awaited update, much appreciated. We will test the LAG functionality on short notice.

if its implemented in the software, it could be used as a failover method

While LAG may indeed provide no/slight increases in maximum throughput, we consider failover/resiliency (uplinking the AP's to stacked switches) a more substantial advantage.

@itsupport71 wrote:

While LAG may indeed provide no/slight increases in maximum throughput, we consider failover/resiliency (uplinking the AP's to stacked switches) a more substantial advantage.

One thing to note is power to the AP needs to be managed in this case. ie. while LAG can help work around a failed packet path, the AP has PoE-in only on one of its (Eth1) ethernet ports. So even if you have the AP cabled up to two separate PoE switches and enable LAG, if the one supplying power goes down, then the AP will power off, even if the other switch is still up.