Compare 5GHz vs 2.4GHz frequency band on wireless transmission

Hi All,
I have a customer who is using a wireless point to point operating at 2.4 GHz. Now there is a need to replace the device Cambium operates in the 5 GHz band. They need to compare the pros and cons of these two bands in wireless transmission.
Does Cambium recommend using 5GHz band. If so, why use 5GHz band?

You can use Cambium ePMP 1000 for 2.4GHz point to point links. It can work quite well depending on the conditions and use case. That being said... I think Cambium and a lot of manufacturers tend to focus their efforts on bands that have the largest available spectrum and lowest noise. This ends up being 5GHz most of the time.

Pros and Cons for 2.4 and 5GHz:

• Pro 5GHz has much more available spectrum, allowing for multiple radios using 40MHz+ channel widths.
  • Pro 5GHz spectrum is typically less 'noisy', allowing higher SnR and better modulation.
  • Con 5GHz can have much shorter range and poor nNLOS performance compared to 2.4GHz.
  • Con 5GHz can get used up or abused quickly by operators using many large channel widths.
  • Pro 2.4GHz has great range and has better nNLOS penetration then 5GHz.
  • Con 2.4GHz can recieve interference from all kinds of devices, including microwave ovens, baby monitors, wireless camera systems, cordless phones, etc.
  • Pro 5GHz antenna sizes are typically small and are higher gain then 2.4GHz.
  • Pro 5GHz, product line and development cover many uses cases and advancements. Currently on gen 3 with future plans.
  • Con 2.4GHz product line and development are very limited. Currently on gen 1 with no future plans.
1 Like

Thank Eric,

I need a letter of recommendation from the manufacturer why I should use the Cambium wireless transmission device 5.8 GHz instead of the 2.4 GHz band
Advantages and disadvantages of 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz bands.

Hi Tran,

Which product customer wants to upgrade to which product , example ePMP 1000 to Force 300 , etc

Thanks

Sagar

Hi Sagar,

The device the customer is using is from another equipment company, not Cambium. Now they need us to advise them to switch to 5GHz Cambium devices, they ask us to offer suggestions from Cambium. Advantage of 5GHz Cambium device with 2.4 devices of other device manufacturers.

Tran,

Cambium Networks can assist with the requested letter of recommendation on our lettter head and company stamp affixed.  Please email me at my corporate address:  scott.imhoff@cambiumnetworks.com and we will get you sorted out.

One of the likely attributes is the available EIRP in the country you are operating the link in.  If you can provide the country, as well as the x,y coordinates of the two nodes, we can quickly make a recommendation for you and provide the requested letter.

Best,

Scott

1 Like