Comparing LPU (C000065L007B) to the Gigabit Surge Suppressor (C000000L033A)

Have you ever wondered why Cambium Networks offers two different parts that seem to do the same thing? In this case, I am talking about the LPU (C000065L007B) and the Gigabit Surge Suppressor (C000000L033A).

The LPU is designed as the industrial level protection, and while the -L033A provides the same level of surge protection (as proven by lab testing), the LPU has several advantages.

1. the LPU provides high quality installation by ensuring continuous ground shielding from the drop cable through the LPU to the radio (through the use of armoured cable supplied in the installation kit). Because the ground is continuous, the protection level offered is much higher than that of the -L033A.

2. The LPU is designed for use with armored cable, while the -L033A is designed to be used with lower cost foil-jacketed cable and drain wire.

3. The termination method of the LPU is designed to withstand a longer period of field time.

4. The LPU contains heating elements to ensure condensation does not form on the board and cause board corrosion and connection failure.

5. Lastly the LPU’s metal case, which can be installed in tandem with the radio or separately, is robust having sealing proven to IP66 and IP67, underpinning the long life, one touch installation required by customers to minimise tower climbs.

6. Only the LPU is certified for use in an ATEX/HazLoc application.

For these reasons, we would recommend using the LPU (even with the added cost) over the -L033A for demanding, mission critical, difficult to reach, or extra long life installations.

6 Likes

Can I have certificate for this LPU (C000065L007B) ? I want to see level of explosion proof certify for this LPU

Matt…I just ran across this older post. Since the LPU and the GbE surge protector are cross-compatible, shouldn’t the LPU be the preferred LInkPlanner BOM recommendation for ePMP3K AP surge protection? Thanks!

It can certainly work, yes… and is the more robust solution for the reasons given above. However, the cost is higher than that of the -L033A, so customers can choose their desired solution among either choice.

1 Like