Configuration issues / Feedback

Hello,

I'm working on setting up a few cnMatrix switches at the moment and got some of the basic VLAN config steps down, but there's some gaps in the documentation that I need help with.

How do you statically set DNS servers? I set an in-band management VLAN and a default route, however I see no way in the CLI or Web GUI where I can statically set a DNS server.

How am I supposed to onboard it into cnMaestro? I don't see anywhere to put an onboarding key, I assume I have to onboard it by entering the serial number from cnMaestro? And I don't expect I'll be able to onboard it into cnMaestro Cloud if I don't have DNS available...

Is there any way to have a switchport mode set to trunk but only contain some (not all) of the VLANs? Or do I have ot keep it in hybrid to be able to do this?

Overall, coming from primarily Cisco switches, the CLI isn't too bad to get around. There's just a few minor things that could be improved

• "boot" is a confusing command to reboot a switch, reload or reboot would make more sense...
  • When typing "switchport access vlan 100", because we also have the command "switchport acceptable-frame-type", I have to type either the full word of "access" or type "a", hit tab, then hit "s". Typing commands flows better with just being able to type "a" and then tab complete it to "access."
  • Not being able to type short forms is mildy annoying, but tab complete still works OK
  • In Cisco IOS, you're able to hop to higher level menus. For example, if you're configuring an interface, you can switch to another interface without exiting. Example:
    switchport gi0/1
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 100
    switchport gi0/2      <---- No need to exit first
    sw mode access
3 Likes

Hello,

To set DNS server using CLI:

config terminal; ip name-server ipv4 <server ip>

show ip dns name-server

Onboarding cnMatrix requires claiming the serial number on the cloud.

A trunk port has vlan membership in ALL VLANs. You need to use hybrid port to have vlan membership in SOME VLANs.

Your feedbacks for the CLI are valuable. We will review and make improvements in future release. Improving the CLI syntax, operation, and flow are included in the roadmap.

In the upcoming 2.1 release, we have included support for 'do show' that allows to execute show commands any where in the CLI contexts. Currently you have to go back to the top context level to execute the show command.

Regards.

2 Likes

Hello,

set DNS server IP via CLI:

config terminal; ip name-server ipv4 <server ip>

show ip dns name-server

Onboarding cnMatrix requires claiming the serial number on the cloud.

A trunk port has vlan membership in ALL VLANs. You need to use hybrid port to have vlan membership in SOME VLANs.

Your feedbacks for the CLI are valuable. We will review and make improvements in future release. Improving the CLI syntax, operation, and flow are included in the roadmap.

In the upcoming 2.1 release, we have included support for 'do show' that allows to execute show commands any where in the CLI contexts. Currently you have to go back to the top context level to execute the show command.

Thanks.