configuring speeds for customer

i’m curious if the sm has the ability to limit the speeds the customer receives…for example if i wanted to give the customer 128Kb upstream and 256Kb downstream without the ability to burst or with the ability to burst to higher speeds

i know i can do this with BAM and other devices…but i’m looking at it from the perspective of just having 10-20 SM’s and wanting to do it manually for the time being

i assume that i would configure it in the sustained rate and burst rate fields…but i’m not getting it to work the way i think it should

i have a cyclone 2.4 AP and just want to set a network wide speed setting…i’m assuming that if i set this in the AP it will override whatever is in the SM??? meaning that i can’t have some people on a 256Kb dowload plan and some with a 512Kb download plan unless i put up a BAM server or another bandwidth device manager

if someone could give me an example of what values i would need to input in the AP i would appreciate it

The new 6.1 firmware allows you to set speeds on a per SM basis. Once you upgrade your firmware to 6.1, the speed settings are located by clicking on the “Configuration” link in the left frame.

If I remember correctly you can set burst and sustained for both upload and download. We are using them on all SMs on the network and they work flawlessly.

I think the only other feature that BAM provides besides the speed settings in authentication.

i have the 6.1 firmware on the APs and SMs…and i know the field you are talking about…i guess my conversions are incorrect then…in reference to it wanting kbits on one field and Kbps on the other

also if i were to make different speeds on different SMs would i need to max those fields out on the AP…it just seems that whatever values i put in those fields on the SM it still goes much faster than i want it to

if someone could give me an example of what values i would need to input on those fields for say 128K upload and 256K download i would appreciate it

if someone could give me an example of what values i would need to input on those fields for say 128K upload and 256K download i would appreciate it

You answered your own question. If I recall correctly, the input fields ask for kbps (kilobits per second). If your example, you would do the following, assuming that your burst and sustained are the same:

Upload Burst 128

Upload Sustained 128

Downlink Burst 256

Downlink Sustained 256

If you wanted to give them 1 Meg in both directions, it would be 1000, since there are 1000kb in 1 Meg.

It just came to me, I think I know why you arent seeing any changes. On either the AP or SM config page, there is an option (forget what its called) where you state how the SM will get its speed settings. I think the options are BAM, SM, AP. Make sure you set that to SM.

Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier....I had the same problem when I first tried out the throttling feature.

Post your results.

i do know of the setting you speak of on where to get it’s speed config and i’m pretty sure mine is set to AP and not SM so i’ll check that

i guess in my mind i needed some different values to enable those speeds for the upload and download so i’ll check that as well

thanks for the info

I haven’t used the new Advantage products, but whenever you are converting from kilobits (Kb) to kilobytes (KB), just multiply or divide by 8. There are 8 bits in a byte. If you want someone to be able to download at 60KB/s and upload at 20KB/s then you would set the multiply by 8 to get the kb/s. You would set the download rate to 480kbs and the upload to 160kbs. 1 “Meg” or MB is 1024KB. 1Mb is 1024Kb. So a 2 Meg connection would be 2048 and a 4 Meg would be 4096, etc. Soooo, if you want to give someone a 1.5Mb connection down (1536kb) and a 256Kb connection up, they could download at a max rate of 192KB/sec and upload at 32KB/sec (providing the link was perfect).

Yes, those conversions look right to me. Do the SMs want the input in the units of bits per second or bytes per second? If its bytes per second, then the example I provided is incorrect, but I am pretty sure that its bits per second.

Usually transmission and speed rates are always measured in bits per seconds, and storage is measured in bytes.