Connectivity Issues with client/pseudobridge mode

Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out to this forum for some assistance with a Wi-Fi connectivity issue we’re experiencing in our network.

Our company’s Wi-Fi infrastructure consists of cnPilot e600 devices managed by the cnMaestro cloud controller. For certain specific requirements, we need to connect some devices with only Ethernet interfaces to the Wi-Fi network. To achieve this, we’re using TP-Link TL-WR802N devices in client mode, as described by the manufacturer: “In this mode, this device can be connected to another device via the Ethernet port and act as an adapter to grant your wired devices access to a wireless network, especially for a Smart TV, Media Player, or game console only with an Ethernet port.”

We’ve successfully implemented this setup with Ubiquiti antennas, but when using Cambium antennas, we’re encountering significant reliability issues. When pinging the TP-Link device, everything seems fine, but when pinging the device behind the TP-Link, the ping results are highly irregular. We’re experiencing packet loss, and the latencies are becoming unbearable.

We’ve also attempted to use Mikrotik mAP devices in station-pseudobridge mode, but unfortunately, the results are the same. After some research, it has been suggested that this client/pseudobridge mode is not officially supported by Wi-Fi protocols (I’m not a Wi-Fi expert). Is there a way to make Cambium access points better handle this client/pseudobridge mode?

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi @mtosolini_catas
We are looking into this and will keep you updated.
In the meantime, can you share your network topology, TP Link TL-WR802N configuration, and the AP tech dump?

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m unable to provide more information than what I’ve already described.

The TL-WR802N is in client mode, allowing devices connected to its Ethernet port to connect to a WLAN. When checking the cnMaestro console, I can see the TL-WR802N and its MAC address in the list of connected devices. However, there’s no reference to the device connected to the TL-WR802N’s Ethernet port. When pinging the TP-Link, there are no issues – stable and reasonable ping times. However, when pinging the device connected to the Ethernet port, both the ping to the TP-Link and the ping to the device increase significantly (from a few milliseconds to 2 seconds and beyond), rendering communication effectively unusable.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable sharing the access point configuration on a public forum.

Currently, I managed to overcome this situation by replacing the TP-Link with a Mikrotik mAP. I couldn’t set it up in pseudobridge mode as desired, but I had to configure NAT where all traffic arriving at the Mikrotik is redirected to the desired natted client.

Sounds like the old Ruckus Directed-DHCP.

Hi, we are using a similar setup to connect some Ethernet only label printers with a Mikrotik RB952U, we also have e600 (4.2.3.1-r7). Didn’t need anything special on e600 config. Compare your config with ours:

# jan/24/2024 09:10:48 by RouterOS 6.47
# software id = XP37-GWY7
#
# model = RB952Ui-5ac2nD
# serial number = 
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n disabled=no mode=\
    station-pseudobridge ssid=your2GHzWiFi
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] ssid=your5GHzWiFi
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk eap-methods="" \
    mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa-pre-shared-key=\
    yourPreSharedKey wpa2-pre-shared-key=youPreSharedKey
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether5
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=America/Costa_Rica
/system identity
set name="MikroTik (Label Printer)"

Thank you for the feedback. I tried using pseudobridge. It seemed to work with a test PC, but no luck with the device I intend to connect (a cobot). Nonetheless, thank you for the advice. I found a workaround described earlier, and I think I’ll use that.

2 Likes