Convert PMP 450b SM to PTP AP

Hi All

I am looking for away to convert PMP 450b SM to to PTP AP 

We have 2 450SM not in used and we would liek to use it as PTP link 

what is the procedure to convert SM tp AP ? 

10x!

I believe this is only possible for 450b SMs of a certain part number. Can you confirm the part number for the radios that you have available?

From what I've been told, you can't convert existing 450b SM's... and you'll only be able to convert existing 450b PtP units to be used as an SM. Going forward there will be just one product for SM and PtP and you can convert between the two.

That is correct.  The older 450b SM's, part numbers: 

C050045C011A 5 GHz 450b - Mid-Gain WB SM
C050045H012A 5 GHz 450b - High-Gain WB SM – 4-pack

CANNOT be changed to PTP450b due to regulatory and export control reasons (even if you upgrade to firmware v16.x).  Those part numbers will always be SM's.

Going forward, these SKU's can be used as PMP450b SM's and/or PTP450b's.

C050045B032A  5 GHz 450b - Mid-Gain – FCC 
C050045H022A  5 GHz 450b - High Gain – 4-pack – FCC 

The pricing and accessories remain the same.  They come from the factory configured as SM, but can easily be changed (via GUI or SNMP) to operate as a Backhaul (BHM or BHS).

LINKPlanner (v4.8.8 as of this post) still provides the older SM only part numbers when designing a PMP install, so manual BOM editing is necessary at this point.  Alternatively, you can see the correct part numbers by creating a PTP450b link between the two end-points.

3 Likes

Hi all.

I have two PMP450b, part number C050045C012A with the last firmware CANOPY 16.0.0.1 SM and I don't see the PTP option.

Can I do a PTP link with this part number devices?

I do not believe you can.

The description for the part number you provided is "5 GHz 450b - High Gain WB SM - Radio Only - SPARE".

In general I believe if "SM" is in the description then it is an older style and cannot be converted.

Also for what it is worth you can look up part numbers in LINKPlanner under Project > Search part numbers and descriptions. (One of Cambium's best kept secrets)

LP.PNG

Thank you Seth,

I have searched in the Link Planner/Project/Search Part Numbers and Descriptions but my list is empty, I don't see anything.

Sorry. You will want to leave off the "A" at the end of the part number that you have.

That is correct.  The older 450b SM's, part numbers: 

C050045C011A 5 GHz 450b - Mid-Gain WB SM
C050045H012A 5 GHz 450b - High-Gain WB SM – 4-pack

CANNOT be changed to PTP450b due to regulatory and export control reasons (even if you upgrade to firmware v16.x).  Those part numbers will always be SM's.

Hi

And what's about the C050045C002C PMP450i SM?

It can be converted to PTP backhaul?

Thanks

As far as I know, a PMP450i SM cannot be converted to a Point to Point radio.

As mentioned above, only PMP450b SM's(with the correct part number) have the ability to be converted from SM to PTP radios.

I'd suggest trying one out, they work really great as a PTP in every instance I've tried. 

Sidenote:  It's also the only PTP Cambium offers(that I am aware of) with which Canadians can effectively utilize the 5.1Ghz band. I say that knowing full well that PTP650/670's can use that band, however they cannot use any more than 7dB of transmit power.  A 450B will actually let me use the maximum transmit power allowed by ISED's HPOD licence.  For that reason alone, I really like them.