Could this syslog report be indicative of a cabling problem at this site? Both systems we use are indicating nothing is wrong with the customers accounts

Good Afternoon,

We have a customer that is saying he is getting dropouts, however our program (Splynx) we use to monitor customer statistics is not showing any “dropouts” cnMaestro is also revealing that there are no issues.

Attached below is a brief snippet from the system log for the F300-25 and I am wanting to get some further help diagnosing the issue.

Mar 4 12:50:10 F300 admin[172.20.118.1] web_interface: User: 'admin' role: 'admin' is logged in…
Mar 4 12:37:27 F300 DEVICE-AGENT[4900]: send_lldp: SIOCG-IF-INDEX failed for eth1
Mar 2 03:25:38 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Mar 2 03:25:35 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Mar 1 10:48:03 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Mar 1 10:48:00 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Mar 1 04:54:18 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Mar 1 04:54:15 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Feb 27 16:39:38 F300 DEVICE-AGENT[4900]: send_lldp: SIOCG-IF-INDEX failed for eth1
Feb 27 08:09:56 F300 DEVICE-AGENT[4900]: platform_set_cns_connection_state: New CNS_STATE cns_serv_stat "Connected"(6)
Feb 27 08:08:39 F300 DEVICE-AGENT[4900]: platform_set_cns_connection_state: New CNS_STATE cns_serv_stat "Connected"(6)
Feb 27 08:08:39 F300 {"msgType": 407, "config": {"template_props": {"templateName": "", "templateDescription": "", "device_type": "", "version": "4.6.0.1"}, "device_props": {"acsEnable": "0", "bcPriority": "0", "cambiumIPAliasesEnable": "0", "cambiumLicenseServerEnable": "0", "cambiumAccelerationEngine": "1", "centerFrequency": "4920", "dataVLANEnable": "0", "mcastVLANEnable": "0", "networkRelaydEnable": "0", "dhcpLanEnable": "0", "dhcpLanLimit": "10", "dhcpLanStart": "1", "dhcpLanLeasetime": "24", "dhcpOption82": "0", "dhcpOption82CircuitIDType": "0", "dhcpOption82CircuitValue": "", "dhcpOption82RemoteIDType": "0", "dhcpOption82RemoteValue": "", "dhcpOption66": "1", "cambiumSSHServerEnable": "1", "cambiumSSHServerPort": "22", "cambiumTelnetServerEnable": "0", "cambiumTelnetServerPort": "23", "crashReporterEnable": "1", "dmzEnable": "0", "dmzAllowICMP": "1", "httpPort": "80", "httpsPort": "443", "uhttpdMainInactLogout": "1", "l2FirewallEnable": "0", "l2WanRemoteAccess": "0",
Feb 27 08:08:39 F300 DEVICE-AGENT[4900]: build_and_send_cfg_change_notify: JSON Object: [{"msgType": 698, "configVersion": 2}]
Feb 27 08:08:39 F300 DEVICE-AGENT[4900]: rx_config_notify_cb: Send MSG_CONFIG_CHANGE_NOTIFY to cnMaestro
Feb 27 08:08:39 F300 admin[172.20.118.1] set_param: {\"template_props\":{\"config_id\":\"9\"},\"device_props\":{\"crashReporterEnable\":\"1\"}}
Feb 27 08:08:32 F300 admin[172.20.118.1] web_interface: User: 'admin' role: 'admin' is logged in…
Feb 26 09:20:33 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Feb 26 09:20:30 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Feb 26 02:35:04 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Feb 26 02:35:02 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Feb 26 00:12:34 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Feb 26 00:12:31 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Feb 25 22:30:05 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Feb 25 22:30:03 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down
Feb 25 22:21:19 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Feb 25 22:21:17 F300 netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is down

Can someone shed some light on whether or not this is indicative of an issue with the cabling at this particular site?

I thank everyone in advance for helping out with this.

Don’t want to be a negative Nancy.

All my Force300 sites have all had Ethernet issues and virtually all of them the problems have disappeared after replacing the equipment with another brand.

Best bet is to open a ticket with Cambium but it feels to me there is a hardware design issue and no amount of software or firmware massaging can fix this issue.Just have a look at how many posts there are on these forums regarding ethernet issues on F300-25 products.

That could be an Ethernet port on a Force 300 ‘flapping’,
Or a client router crashing/rebooting too.
Or a loose end / badly made cable,
Or a screw/staple through a cable,
Or a wonky Ethernet in a POE injector,
or half a dozen other ethernet issues…

But definitely looks like an ethernet issue in the chain of Force300 ↔ Client Router somewhere.

1 Like

Thanks for the input guys/gals, I will investigate down those avenues.

Seen this exact scenario with a failing customer router just a couple of weeks ago and it lasted for a couple days until the customer router conveniently isolated itself by dying.
As ninedd pointed out, I’ve also seen this with a marginal cable/connector, especially when running gigabit. Is the unit showing any type of ethernet errors under the performance tab? We had a Force 200 begin doing this several times a day and dropping it to a 100 meg stopped it. We replaced both cable ends a couple of days later and resolved the issue.

It’s not a 100 percent, but dropping the port speed under the network settings tab is a quick way to confirm a marginal cable/connector. Gigabit connections are obviously more susceptible. A gigabit capable connection that is auto negotiating to 100 meg is another indicator. If dropping the speed reduces or stops the ethernet drop outs, you most likely have a marginal cable/connection issue.

As djdrastic said, we also had a couple of F300’s that had issues with the ethernet ports, mostly just going to sleep until rebooted, but I’d suspect cable/router first.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this problem Ben

We also have a customer complaining about the same problem with force 300-25. Syslogs displays similar message (DEVICE-AGENT[4791]: send lldp: SIOCG-IF-INDEX failed for eth1). The customer reported experiencing dropouts very frequently for days.

This also happens when the AC power fluctuates. Try placing a good UPS between the wall and the PSU. For both the f30o andbthe clients router. If it still does this then look at LPU, all cables (run a loose temp cable) and grounding. If the radio could have had a power surge come up the cable then you would also see it renegotiate the link speeds as the transceiver in the radio wouldnt be able to keep a link lock.

My suspicion is power or router.

Anyone figure out what’s causing this. I have a unit doing this and have even replaced the equipment. Cable tests good. Same problem with 2 different units in the same spot. Could the cable be bad but testing good?

Depends on what “test” the cable passed. If you are using one of the basic ethernet testers then all those do is test continuity and in no way means that ethernet will work. So it is very possible that that the cable tests good but ethernet doesn’t actually work.

If by “test” you mean you are using something that “qualifies”, “verifies” or certifies what speeds the cable can support then it becomes much less likely the cable would test good but won’t actually link up.

If the ethernet link is flapping (going up and down or bouncing between two different speeds over and over) then the problem has to be either the Ethernet interface on the radio, the cable / cable ends between the radio and the surge suppressor (assuming you install them), Surge Suppressor itself, cable / cable ends between surge suppressor outside and the the PoE injector, the PoE injector, the patch cable between the PoE and whatever it’s connected to (normally the customer’s wifi router) or the thing the patch cable is plugged into (normally the customer’s wifi router).

Check the cable ends for corrosion / water.

You might try turning off “Smart Speed” under Configuration > Network > Ethernet Port on the radio.

Also possible the cable is run to close to something that is causing problems. I’ve never seen it happen myself but I’ve heard of others having ethernet problems caused by the cable being run over the top of florescent lights (possibly LED also ?) , cable TV coax , TV antenna coax with the booster, HAM coax, various other electronic devices.

2 Likes

We have seen link issues between Force300 SMs and R195 routers if a Cambium gigabit surge suppressor is in place. Link will flap randomly with both devices reporting 100M link. Swapping the Cambium gigabit SS for a Mimosa gigabit SS has resolved the issue in almost all cases as long as there are no other underlying issues.

2 Likes

I think this is the most unpredicative kind of the issue. There is a lot of parts in chain: cables, SSs, poe, ports. And of course nobody is saint the unit can be broken too. If we see it is faulty we RMA it without questions. But first the operator has to double check all cables and connections.
We have a lot similar tickets in support and in the most cases it is connection/cabling.
One customer is frequently complaining about Ethernet issues on the other radio model. Especially flapping Ethernet port. But there was no one case where the unit was broken. Mostly rotten cables and toasted SSs.
Or another user insisted on RMA for a month, then swapped all cables around the tower and unit started to work properly.

As Andrii pointed out, get that surge suppressor out of the equation. use a ethernet passthrough connector to connect the two cables together.