Counts, Reg-count, re-reg count?

Hi,

I'm having 2-3 customers with hundreds of counts, reg-counts and re-reg counts...

I don't know what is the issue. Discard any interference factor as they are in a very quiet area, and for example, the SM at few meters in the next house doesn't have such..

May be it related with the max. distance issue? With the stuck sessions of 13.4 ???

PS. Still waiting for the 13.4.1 to fix the problems ..

Regards

Antonio

What frequency are you experiencing this on?

Have you tried running a SA @ the SM to see what the SM is seeing? Have you visited the site to see if they're running a dual-band WiFi router and verfied the channel and channel width it's using? Also, if possible, could you temporarily change the channel and/or move to the 5.4 band and see if the issues persist?

2 Likes

good points eric,   if you don't want to drive out, get the customer to start a movie or do a speed test or download and hit a link test or watch the modulations as it happens.   if thiet router is to blame you'll see a sudden tank in the modulation and link efficiency 

2 Likes

hi,

yes spectrum is ok. pmp450 is at 5842.5 it is in the roof of a building.  the customer is in the base floor.

wifi dual band routers, as per my understanding, only have 5180-5320 mhz which the band authorized for indoor use.

in the +/- 50 meters of this SM , there are more without any issue.

finally after being so much fustrated on how to troubleshoot this kind of equipment, I removed the pmp450 and installed an Albentia wimax. It is pushing 30 mbit/s up/down with 0 arqs and the link is uptime for 7 hours right now. With pmp450 the uptime was always < 10-15 minutes...

regards

antonio

Antonio,

By any chance did you run a link test for this SM before removing it?  If so what was the uplink & downlink efficiencies?  When troubleshooting a problematic 450 link the first thing I'd suggest is a link test.  You are looking for a link efficiency of greater than 90% in both the up and downlink. 

If you see an SM with an increasing number of re-registrations this tells us that the AP thinks the SM is session and the SM sends a message to register.  The AP sees that its registered already, honors the request, ane re-registers the SM.  On an perfect RF link you'd see 1 session, 1 registration, and 0 Re-reg.  If re-reg is increasing for one particular SM on an AP then there is likely not enough fade margin build into the link budget.  

Does the SM have a reflector or CLIP installed with it?

Your uptime was less than 15 minutes ? Did you swap power supplies or check the connections ?

Hi

yes power supply, wiring, aiming, etc everything checked. I don't exactly remember but yes I did some link test, spectrum analysis, etc..  and everything was OK.

The problems seems related to upgrade all SMs and AP to 13.4 as per cambium customer support to fix the max.distance exceeded issue which was showing some SMs, then started the stuck issues, downgraded AP to 13.3 and the most problematic SMs to 13.3 like this one. But not fixed at all.

The SM connected when trying to enter it via the AP proxy, it disconnects. If only pinging or so it was OK. Also when the customer was using the connection (traffic) it disconnects. This problem was worse the last 2 days before removing the SM. May be it is HW? Or the AP degrading? The AP has ~100 SM (~120 VCs), max peak traffic ~40 mbit/s and <8-9kpps at peak.

Regards

Antonio

I thought I was just going crazy, it seems to me that I've been getting many more sessions on 13.4 than I did previously. The only thing I can really add to the discusion is that I observed something strang on my own SM at home, my internet dropped so I tried pinging my AP (I have several IP addresses assigned to my routers wan port to ensure pings stay local and not remote to various devices) and got nothing back. I logged into my SM assuming it had dropped its session but the SM still showed it was registered and I could click through to the AP via the SM mac proxy. After a few moments of watching my sesion time continue to rise on both the AP and SM my session finally dropped and reregistered. There was nothing wrong with the RF side of things, I still had a good RX level and a good SNR and as previously stated the mac proxy still worked just fine so traffic was able to pass between the SM and the AP.

Hi,

This symptoms described are same as registering issue,
Can you please try open beta 13.4.1 that we posted last week.
Please update if that fixes your problem or not.
Upgrade both AP and SM.

Hello All, just to let you all know, Antonio is wiriting on all Posts about the company he seems to work for (Albentia).
Cheers…

I'd like to share that this is still an ongoing issue.  I can confirm that the SMs report they are in session when traffic forwarding stops.  When the AP times out the session, the SM re-registers and the link works again.

The issue for me is always presents itself in near-line-of-sight situations.  The more obstruction, the worse the re-connects.  Even on close links with -62dBm sessions and link effeciencies reporting above 90% for both uplink and downlink.  If there are limbs or trees in the way, sessions time-outs occur.

I am using PMP450 in the 3.65 band.  Confirmed clean spectrum via spectrum analyser.  No other signals are present.

I am currently running 14.1.1.  I've been waiting a very long time for a fix.  The product runs great in line-of-site situations.  But then again, it's way cheaper to use 5Ghz in those cases.  We need this product to work and be at least as reliable as a WIMAX radio.

@Will wrote:

I'd like to share that this is still an ongoing issue.  I can confirm that the SMs report they are in session when traffic forwarding stops.  When the AP times out the session, the SM re-registers and the link works again.

The issue for me is always presents itself in near-line-of-sight situations.  The more obstruction, the worse the re-connects.  Even on close links with -62dBm sessions and link effeciencies reporting above 90% for both uplink and downlink.  If there are limbs or trees in the way, sessions time-outs occur.

I am using PMP450 in the 3.65 band.  Confirmed clean spectrum via spectrum analyser.  No other signals are present.

I am currently running 14.1.1.  I've been waiting a very long time for a fix.  The product runs great in line-of-site situations.  But then again, it's way cheaper to use 5Ghz in those cases.  We need this product to work and be at least as reliable as a WIMAX radio.

Hi Will, 

Have you tried 14.1.2 Build 10 beta load yet? It addresses re-reg issues that customers were noticing and we have gotten positive feedback so far from those customers who have tried this build. 

Thanks,
Sriram

Try to set the AP in Generating Sync and watch if you resolve the issue!

We have a smiliar problem (opened various Support Case too).

Seems that the re-registration issues are more frequent with the 14.1.1. With the last beta (14.1.2 beta 10) are less frequent but still present with PMP 450 and PMP 450i

With a CMM4 installed the problem afflict other AP's too and not only one (same disconnection time)

I've upgraded to 14.1.2(14)  today and I'm trying again.  Feels numbing when the advice has been to try the latest beta firmware since the biginning of the product.

Timing:  I currently time it from a CMM3.  I can try genrating sync, but this is obviously just a troubleshooting step.  On that thought, Is there a way to force the onboard GPS to take over?  I seem to recall that being an option in earlier firmwares.

If you set Generating Sync, Onboard GPS will be deactivated. You must set Autosync + free run again and reboot the AP

Don't discount WIFI interference, and the technique of hainvg the customer run a movie or stream and watching radio modulation is a good one.

As for the frequecies that indoor WIFI can use, they can use (and often do by defualt) the 5.7 - 5.8 GHz frequecies in addition to the ones you mentioned.  In fact, over the past few years the FCC has loosened up the rules allowing outodoor use of what used to be only indoor frequecies.  You can't depend on frequency band and indoor / outdoor to protect you.  You must check.  Many operators have started providing the WIFI router to the customer, specifically so that they can control and manage this.

I've been running for a week now with 14.1.2(14).  I have 55 reg counts over nearly 6 days.  Efficeincy:100% up and 99% down.  There is a perception that the disconnects are shorter, but it's all subjective.

I'm switching to generate sync now and will report my findings.

To the interference concerns, this is the 3Ghz PMP450.  Customer WIFI is not a concern.  If there are WIMAX signals in the area, they should show up in the spectrum analyser.  Nothing else is approved for this band.

RESULTS

It has been more than 24 hours since we set the AP to generate its own sync.  All clients are still sitting at 1 Reg, which is right where they should be if all things are perfect.  I'll give it a week like the last firmware upgrade to be sure, but so far this appears to be a real clue.

This poses a HUGE problem however.  Syncronized timing is an absolute neccessity.  This test scenerio has a single AP existing in an isolated environment.  My other sites are co-located with ABAB arrangements and in-range of similiar sites.

My timing source at all sites is a CMM3 or CMM4, using power port timing.  The only alternative is integrated GPS, but the configuration does not allow me to manually select integrated GPS or even use it while a power port signal is present.  Suggestions?