Cover with wifi an are over sea with either EPmP 2000 and sector antenna or with XV2-2T0 outdoor Wifi 6

We have a proposal for a project where the client is asking for support to cover an area with Wi-Fi for mobile devices to access internet over sea for aquacultures. Bandwidth is not an issue as we have to cover only the communication of 1-2 mobile devices (tablets or mobile phones with android mainly) to communicate with a local server on shore for feeding commands.
Area to be covered is around 230 sqm and distances are at most 1200 meters from AP and at least 200 meters.
We have been suggested to use an epmep 1000/2000 with a sector antenna of 90 degrees to cover the area with EPmP in Standard Wifi Mode. With ePMP 2000 with Sector/Patch antenna, we would get 18 dBi antenna in a specific direction.
With the use used then the XV2-2T0 outdoor Wi-fi 6 AP can also be used, but with the XV2-2T0 AP you would get 9.3 dBi Omnidirectional antenna.
Obviously with the ePMP 2000/3000 the Sector antenna we may cover more than 6-8 Km if the Line-of-sight (LOS), Fresnel zone clearance is there.
Also, the Epmp we will have connection only in 2.4GHz while with the XV2-2T0 Wi-fi 6 AP we will get both band options as 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz inbuilt. Nowadays, there are tablets and mobile devices which can support both the bands for Wi-fi and there are few of them that also support only one band, either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band.
So the question is if anyone has used teh EPmP 2000 with a 90 Degrees sector antenna and had issues with specific mobile devices. The XV2-2T0 Wi-fi 6 AP is made for this job as AP, but the area might be limited.
Also, there is no tool to show the coverage of the system in Google Earth, for example.
I am attaching a kmz of my are for your info.
GNEMS project.zip (757 Bytes)

You can’t connect “standard wifi” devices like pc o phones to epmp.
Also, 1200m is way too far.

edited

The suggestion made by Cambium Support.
Do you think The XV2-2T0 Wi-fi 6 AP could cover the area?
With the sector, antenna could be covered easily I suppose.

1 Like

You can’t connect “standard wifi” devices like pc o phones to epmp.

You can when the AP is configured to Standard WiFi which 1000 and 2000 can do.

1 Like

I think I have noticed that in my post

I have no experience with using ePMP as WiFi at those ranges or over water but you seem to be using 1000 / 2000 then say 2000/3000 . So, only 1000 / 2000 can be configured as a “Standard WiFi” AP . Also 2000 does not come in 2.4Ghz , only 5Ghz.

The 1000/2000 Standard WiFi option has 2 options :

When the Access Point Mode is set to Standard WiFi, configure this parameter:

Enabled: The ePMP AP operates as a WLAN device and allows any 802.11 client to connect to it within a
1000 meters radius.

Disabled: The ePMP AP operates in Standard WiFi mode to allow outdoor 802.11n clients to connect to it at longer distances. This mode is typically used to migrate non-Cambium SMs deployed at longer distances to ePMP SMs.

If there is a distance problem it will be the mobile devices that don’t have enough gain/power not the ePMP.

I have no shots over large bodies of water but I know WiFi / WISP forums are chock full of very smart people having issues with shots over large bodies of water (multipath).

Sorry I can’t answer you’re actual question regarding those specific devices/distances.

That is great
I can keep my people lower than 400 meters away of the AP which means they near to the AP as the cages start there and do not send commands when they are on that farther distances.
I wanted to know if anyone used that to connect different kind of devices like mob phones with android and IOs par example of tablets, maybe that have bigger antennas inside them.
Nevertheless, the solution of the XV2-2T0 Wi-fi 6 AP seems to work over 900 meters of open space.
The antenna of the Sector could give us over 18Dbi in respect to the half of it, which is the power of the XV2-2T0 Wi-fi 6 AP. This 1/8 of the signal from the sector in aspect of total signal to an omnidirectional area. So if I manage to fit the sector with epmp in the firs mode and manage to connect any mob device up to 400 meters that will fit for my side.
Thank anyway

Will AP be onshore or you have some link to you cages and AP is there

No the AP on shore and mobile devices on workers in the sea on boats around cages.

How high can you put the AP?
Can you take both radios for tests?
Don’t forget tell us about your resolution! Sounds like interesting case.

My AP could be as high as 15 meters above sea level. I am glad it is not a very trivial matter and definetelly I will come back
Unfortunately I cannot test the solutions before buy equipment or send my offer.

you can also consider XV2-2T1 with XV2-2T0 if you want more targeted coverage. XV2-2T1 is a 120deg sector variant of the XV2-2T0 (Omni type). Just a thought

Hello G Kounis

I had a look at your KML file, and I do think I’ve for a couple of suggestions that could work :slight_smile:

The XV2-2T1 would work over this 600m distance with an integrated 120-degree sector, especially in 5GHz, as 2.4GHz can struggle with water.

XV2-2T1 Wi-Fi 6 Access Point Data Sheet - Cambium Networks

Though there is also the XE3-4TN coming out soon, this has external antennas allowing you to get a little more creative! You can use one of the vast range of Cambium Networks antennas or buy something else

I would personally not use 2.4 and only look at running the 5GHz Antennas as I don’t believe 6GHz is available in Greece at the moment.

XE3-4TN Outdoor Wi-Fi 6/6E Access Point - Cambium Networks

1 Like

EIRP will be limited by the region and even the upcoming XE3-4TN connectorized tri-band outdoor access point will have to stay within these limits. It is true that with external antennas you have better control for targeted coverage and we will be supporting some narrow beam-width antennas for both 2.4G and 5G bands. For the 5/6GHz SDR we will be offering 4x4 directional antennas with 35deg or 65deg 3dB beam-width and 12dBi peak gain. XV2-2T1 is a 120deg azimuth beam-width with an elevation beam-width of about 15deg so it will do quite well at either 2.4G or 5G to cover a “sector” with strong signal strength. Both XV2-2T1, XV2-2T0, and XE3-4TN are very rugged devices and designed for harsh environments so all are good options. We have a tilt bracket for the XV2-2T1 which will also work for the XV2-2T0 which also gives some targeting flexibility

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.