Cyclone AP and Switch

We are doing some testing with a new Cyclone 5.7 AP on a tower.

Its go onboard timing and so we don’t need anything like a CMMicro, so its for now we tried connecting it to a consumer linksys switch.

Now we are using the standard motorola power inserter with the small ethernet picktail connected into the switch (not into the uplink port)

I connect my laptop into the switch as well (not the uplink port) and can’t log into the switch by http.

They both have hardcoded ips in the same subnet (10.0.0.x, 255.255.0.0)

If I connect the pigtail directly into the laptop, I can log in, no issues.

Also we have a trango backhaul up there connected to the switch and I can connect to it thru the switch, so I know the switch isn’t bad (we also tried another router we had and turned off dhcp just to rule it out, same issues)

Anyone have any ideas? We were hoping to just use a nice mananged switch in the tower to connect the backhaul and the ap, but right now thru this simple consumer level one, it doesn’t appear the AP can be accessed thru the switch with the above setup.

Thanks.

is the AP Vlan’d?

Nope.

ethernet auto-negotiation issue?
try hard coding 10/H to test.

Ok, so setting it to 10/H worked. Everything else wouldn’t work at all, was very lucky to get it back to 10/H without having to climb the tower for a hard reset.

Any ideas how to resolve it?

Some early V8 releases have an ethernet bug. Run 8.2.7 or 9.
If you still have issues on one of those versions, a tower climb is in order to test the cable.

What model switch did you purchase?

Cyclone AP: Hardware P10, Software 9.0

What I’ve Tried:
Switches:
Linksys 5 Port EZXS55W
D-Link 5 Port DES-1105

Router:
TP-Link TL-WR541G

What will be going in there tonight (it arrives today):

D-Link Managed Switch DES-3010FA

I just find it odd that my laptop connected directly had no issues with Auto on both ends, but yet it does with these consumer level ones. You can see connectivity as the light is lit up on the switch, just can’t connect to it via http or telnet.

silentsno wrote:
Cyclone AP: Hardware P10, Software 9.0

What I've Tried:
Switches:
Linksys 5 Port EZXS55W
D-Link 5 Port DES-1105

Router:
TP-Link TL-WR541G

What will be going in there tonight (it arrives today):

D-Link Managed Switch DES-3010FA

I just find it odd that my laptop connected directly had no issues with Auto on both ends, but yet it does with these consumer level ones. You can see connectivity as the light is lit up on the switch, just can't connect to it via http or telnet.

We ran into something kind of like this with a PTP500. The laptop autonegotiated a working speed just fine (10meg half) and you could access the gui of the unit, however the switch (in this case an HP Procurve) could not. Forcing the switch port to 10 full resulted in no link and 10 half only worked part of the time.

The cable length and a surge suppressor on the top both ended up being the problem. We cut off about 45' of slack cable and removed the surge suppressor from the mix and everything came back up and is working flawlessly.

If it works at 10meg half duplex, cable length would be my first starting point - then I would work my way back to other devices between the radio and the switch port.

Depending on how synchronous or asynchronous your link will be, 10meg full duplex might be more than enough ethernet bandwidth to run with.

Update!

The issue turned out to be the terminated ends.

Long story short, we used to be on this tower only a few months ago trying/testing 900 mhz, and when we removed the equipment, we left the cables on the tower. (We knew we’d be back soon) We tried to reuse the RJ45 ends (bad idea) They looked fine, but ended up as our issue.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Another update.

We upgraded to our managed D-Link switch and the issue came up again. Could only resolve it by forcing 10 meg half duplex.

We rolled back to the simple $15 dollar consumer D-Link 5 Port Switch for now as its working fantastic with it.

We’ll be testing the new managed switch to see if its bad.