Default plug

Is there away to turn off the default plug in a sm unit to prevent customers from accessing the unit?

in 7.3.6 there is a setting under the main configuration page

Set To Factory Defaults
Upon Default Plug Detection Enable

i would recommond against this because im not sure if you will ever be able to reaccess a misconfigured SM

I may try it anyway I’m not to worried about misconfig the units, I have had for the first time a customer access their sm unit and change the speeds. It would have taken a default plug for them to gain access.

He has internet no more. ZERO TOLERANCE with tampering

There is an option in the newest version of software that allows you to use the override plug as either:
1) An overriding function (which it is today) allowing access to a unit by bypassing login password,

or

2) As a “Default to Factory Values” which means any time that ANYONE (including your installer) uses the plug, that they would “Reset” the SM back to Factory values (e.g.: IP address would return to 169.254.1.1, S/W scheduling, etc.)

Like Vince said - I would be VERY, VERY reluctant to use that level of security. Have you considered using Prizm/BAM? An end-user would have to be very, very talented to modify a device that is “watched-over” by BAM.

Just my .02

Thank you.

I do have other bandwidth control in place he didn’t gain anything by accessing the sm unit, which cost him his service. I just don’t like the idea of it being that easy to access. Maybe a coded by pass plug. Something you can’t readily have available at most homes

clueless wrote:
I have had for the first time a customer access their sm unit and change the speeds. It would have taken a default plug for them to gain access.

He climbed up on his roof, took off the cover and inserted a default/override plug, accessed the web interface, then changed his speeds? That's pushing a fine line between stupid and clever. What, he didn't think you would notice??? Good for you for cutting him off.

All a client needs to do is read these forums and he has all the info needed to access units,change bandwidth etc ,if a solution was found for sure it would be posted here and the tinkerer would know,why not make these forums and Canopy downloads available only to genuine users ?