Deploying 900MHz Canopy AP on same tower as 900MHz FH radio

Can a 900MHz Canopy AP be successfully deployed on a tower that currently has a 900MHz frequency hopping radio used for Agriculture?

The 900MHz frequency hopping radio has a vertically polarized omni antenna. The Canopy AP will have a horizontally polarized antenna.

I used the spectrum analyzer on a 900MHz SM and noticed single frequency spikes that “hopped” the spectrum over time.

Any input would be appreciated.

It’s possible with some co-ordination. You will need to get the FH radio operator to lock down the channel(s) used - keeping the range limited to one Moto channel - preferably at one end of the spectrum.

Then you should be able to use one, possibly two of the channels for Moto. I doubt you will get enough isolation from using opposing polarities to use all three channels for Moto.

Canopy eats FH such as Alvarion ALIVE. Fire it up and you will wreak havoc on them.

Goes both ways - FHSS will disrupt Canopy, just less so.

Worked on a project in exas where they had both and neither would work correctly. Luckily the same provider owned both systems so it was easier to work out co-ordination.

I never did work as well as it might, but it was manageable.

I remember hearing that the 2.4 Ghz product would crush anything else in the band, and the first two towers we put up near Alvarion FH were nightmares. Just wasnt reliable enough, and my business customers need rock solid. Fortunately, we ended up buying the competitor soon after but it looked pretty ugle co-existing in this county with them.

i would image that the same parallels would be there for 900Mhz

We share an elevator with the 900MHz FH gear used for GPS reference in the tractors. It’s pretty cool, because with the fixed point, you can use the offset to caluclate out the inserted error in GPS. It gives the farmers location information to the inch. We co-exist peacefully and have had no problems. We were very careful to over-survey (if that’s possible) before we chose a mount point.

cvs wrote:
you can use the offset to caluclate out the inserted error in GPS.

what do you mean by this?

The GPS issue is somewhat off-topic, but here’s a brief expaination:

There is inserted error of something like 20 meters in the GPS signals available for commercial use.

Having a static GPS reciever in radio contact with a mobile unit allows you to cancel out the inserted error in the GPS signal giving a margin of error of less than an inch. Two primary uses of which I’m aware are:

1. Agriculture – During harvest, the combine tracks it’s exact location and measures yield and moisture levels. Then the farmer can apply very specific fertilization and irrigation in the field.

2. Construction – At a construction site, the high-resolution GPS is used as a reference for setting foundation footings, etc.

Make sense?

gotcha !