does 2.4 or 5.4 have to be los?

We mainly use 900mhz, but are looking into using different freq. Is it possible to go through any trees at all or does it have to los?

Are there any pros and cons for using 2.4 or 5.4

mountainisp wrote:
We mainly use 900mhz, but are looking into using different freq. Is it possible to go through any trees at all or does it have to los? Are there any pros and cons for using 2.4 or 5.4

I wouldn't recommend installing anything but 900mhz through trees... That said, my personal link at home is at 2.4 and goes through a few trees - but the total link is something like a mile. Last year, when things leafed out I had to add a reflector dish. So, now I've got a 2.4SM around a mile away from a Cyclone AP with a dish which works mostly.

We typically use 2.4 for all of or LoS subscribers, and then 900 for the few we can't get LoS to an AP.... although we don't have lots of trees here so that works ok for us.

We use the 2.4 because we can get more distance out of it. 5.4 is severely distance limited in the US - like a couple of miles maximum. With a 2.4Cyclone AP and a dish, we can easily do 20 miles from our AP's line of sight.

2.4GHz has very limited non/near LOS capabilities. Much much less than 900MHz.

5.4 will have zero tolorance for non/near LOS for sure as it is a much higher frequency and will be more succeptable to attenuation.

Depends on distance to the tower, noise floor, and of course the antennas you use.

I have an installs where the customer is 2 miles from the tower on 2.4 with a Stinger and it works fine except when the AP ices up and the trees are wet.

If I were to put a reflector on it I am sure that it would be solid.