ePMP 2k PTP?

Is there currently a mode or will there be a mode to enable two ePMP 2k's to do a PTP link? I want to have my towers 100% gps synced.

Yes... that would be TDD PTP (if you want to use sync)... the ePMP 2000 is no different than the 1000 in that regard. However, you are only going to be able to sync the AP side of the link - so, for example, if you are talking about a link between two towers, with ePMP PtMP APs on both towers, you will be able to sync the PTP link to the other APs on one tower, but the end that's acting as a subscriber module would not be synced with the APs on that tower, there's really no way around that.

As far as I know, the only difference between TDD PTP mode and regular TDD mode, is that it will allow higher transmit power in some cases, and only one SM will be able to connect. There is also ePTP mode, which is more optimized for PTP links, with lower latency, but there is no GPS sync possible in that mode.

You won’t really take advantage of the 2000 in PTP mode. Better use a narrow beam antenna with ePMP 1000 instead.

GPS sync is compatible between 1000 and 2000 series.

Mike, the e2k is a great noise reduction platform. That being said you only get the benefit of them when your suffering from coband noise. Like being near an AF5. I shared a story about the improvement we experienced form using a e2k as a slave ona tower. Went from mcs11 to MCS 15 just from swapping those radios. Of course that will be specific circumstances

Maybe someone from Cambium could jump in here but i thought the enhanced filters (to mitigate interferance) on the ePMP 2000 would be a benefit over and above the ePMP1000 ?

Yes, the ePMP2000 uses an advanced dynamic filter that can reject adjacent channel interference more effectively than the ePMP1000. However this may not help with on channel intereference which is why we introduced the optional smart beam steering antenna. For a PTP link, the smart antenna may be overkill but you still get the benefit of the advanced filter, as Chris experienced in his deployment.

Thanks,
Sriram

As far as I can figure, the use of any epmp radio in PTP mode should not be on the same band as the AP's for subscribers though I know we all do it. this creates the frequency seperation that is required for proper use. as for the filters being better in the e2k series, after reaading the manuals again, I do not see any specific way that they would help in any co-channel interference as they only sharpen the edge roll-off of the RF signal, this allows full channel width at full power to the edge of the channel to minimize guard band sizes. Eg on canopy fsk we had 5Mhz of guard where possible to provent co-channel interference, on ePMP100 we need 2Mhz (I have tested this and though it can be smaller, I dont advise it) of guard band, the ePMP2000 minimizes this further by allowing more power to the edge frequencies of the channel. Ensuring that all radios transmit at the same time and all cycle windows are set the same can help, hence the gps system, but again you can only time one end of the ptp link. having two ptp links back to back with gps sync allows the ptp links to share the same frequency if you so chose and not cause receiver desensing due to having two radios within close proximity.

The major gain I have seen on the e2k series is the beam forming smart antenna system. This reduces subscriber noise that the AP hears from two subscribers that are very close to each other.

Im sure there are other things I am not adding that are also great differences and may make a difference in some situations.

looks like Cambium posted while I was typing. basically the same thing only shorter.