ePmP 3000 16 SMs and 70% frame time... help?

Hey everyone I have about 60mbps running through a epmp 3k and im at 67-70% frame time being used, this seems bad for 16 cx using 60mbps,  suggestions/insight?

What channel size are you running? Unfortunatly, we only have 1 3k AP loaded with about 22 SMs. It is using 20MHz channel and almost all SMs are Force200s. All but 2 are at MCS15. The AP peaks at 90-100M with 100% frame utilization. If you have 40M channel, I would expect better.

1 Like

HI, thank you for your reply.  We are using 20mhz channel.  The sector peaked at 110mbps with 70% frame time.  Just trying to decipher if there are other variables that could play a factor for the FRAME time being used up needlessly.

If I have some of my SMs with higher retransmission percentage, could that play a factor in frame time being consumed?

Can you post a screenshot of Monitor->Wireless and Monitor->Performance from the AP?

All it takes is one bad subscriber to use up significant frame time.

Thank you for your reply!

As per requested files are attached.

Could you post a Wireless screenshot with "Groupable SMs" showing as well? I see you have a couple 70Mbps plans and some 40Mbps plans. If these larger packages are data hogs and are not groupable with a large amount of other SMs (meaning they operate in SU-MIMO most of their time), then this could be why you have lower overall throughput. It used to be good MCS rates were the key to max sector throughput, now the amount of Groupable SMs, along with good MCS rates, is also a key factory to max sector throughput.

1 Like

@DigitalMan2020 wrote: If I have some of my SMs with higher retransmission percentage, could that play a factor in frame time being consumed?

For sure. Radios can only pass so much data, and it can either be data that's sucesfully getting through, or it can be data that is re-transmitted over and over again.

1 Like

@CWB wrote:

Could you post a Wireless screenshot with "Groupable SMs" showing as well? I see you have a couple 70Mbps plans and some 40Mbps plans. If these larger packages are data hogs and are not groupable with a large amount of other SMs (meaning they operate in SU-MIMO most of their time), then this could be why you have lower overall throughput. It used to be good MCS rates were the key to max sector throughput, now the amount of Groupable SMs, along with good MCS rates, is also a key factory to max sector throughput.

I will post that asap.. thank you for your reply!!

@ninedd wrote:

@DigitalMan2020 wrote: If I have some of my SMs with higher retransmission percentage, could that play a factor in frame time being consumed?

For sure. Radios can only pass so much data, and it can either be data that's sucesfully getting through, or it can be data that is re-transmitted over and over again.

Thank you for your reply.   So a couple of the higher retransmission SMs do have good line of sight to the tower so am I dealing with interference at SM or tower?  If tower I would assume all of my SMs on that sector would have high retransmission %?

Generally speaking, high retransmits in the downlink is noise at the SM side and retransmits in the uplink is noise at the tower side. Yes, usually noise at the tower side affects all SMs, but I've seen that is not always the case. Another thing to look at is a graph of MCS rates for both uplink and downlink. If they are fluctuating significantly that is more likely noise. If they are consistent, but low, that is more likely a signal issue.

2 Likes