ePMP access point and other radios for clients?

Hi,

I need some help if possible, please.

We would like to upgrade our wireless system, migrating to Cambium (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).

The thing is that we already have Ubiquiti access points and I'm thinking to replace the access point, using the Cambium and keep the clients with Ubiquiti. Later, we will change the clients too.

Is this possible?

the Cambium access point, is able to connect to a different radio client? in my case, Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 or NanoStation M5.

Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, you can migrate your current network using CN ePMP AP and enable it in wi-fi mode. On the current network you will need to disable Air Max Mode.  This will make it compatible with the ubiquiti subscribers.

Hi,

thank you for your quick response.

this means, I cannot take the advantage of MIMO?

what about the GPS sync? will work?

the plan is to deploy access points, replace the equipment we have on our towers and later (months or a year) replace the clients. meanwhile, I need to have a working system and to take the advantage of using Cambium (mainly GPS sync for colocation).

thank you.

So to migrate, you will need to think about the short term implications.

To maintain a TDMA sync'd network, you need to use both ubiquiti AP's and Ubiquiti CPE's, -OR- cambium AP's and cambium CPE's.

Both have a non TDMA standard 802.11n mode if you turn off airmax and aggregation in the ubnt or sync in the cambium AP's

However the problem is that throughput will go bad if there are more than 5 clients on the AP.

This mode is really for migration only. It means you can run a ubiquiti or cambium AP and have anybrand CPE.

So you cant do it permanantly, but you can for a day or so while you go around and swap out all your client radios.

You will still get the MIMO double speed function, but the TDMA just isnt there until you have matching AP and CPE.

1 Like

I need to correct my prior statement regarding the AP wi-fi mode capability.  The wi-fi mode is only supported on the SM not on the AP. So the UBNT AP in Wi-Fi mode is required and the swap out will occur at the SMs with ePMP SM in wi-fi mode.

Hi.  My understanding would be that if you put up a Cambium AP with GPS Sync and a fixed Download/Upload ratio - it will NOT be able to talk to non-Cambium units.  There's no way for a WiFi unit, or a AirMax unit to be able to talk to a Cambium AP in Cambium mode.  In other words, you can't just change the AP to a Cambium AP and suddenly get all the Cambium goodies on your non-Cambium products.

Now - what you can do to ease migration is this - you can turn all your UBNT gear into WiFi mode (meaning turn off AirMax) and then you can change out the UBNT CPE's with Cambium CPE's - and Cambuim CPE's in WiFi mode will talk to the UBNT AP in WiFi mode.  The downside is that this would be a plain vanilla WiFi network for a while, and that may or may not work well.  However, once you have all the CPE's change to Cambium CPE's, you can then change the UBNT AP to a Cambum AP.  Then (and only then) once you have all the network changed over to Cambium AP and Cambium CPE's - then you can switch everything to Cambium ePMP mode, with GPS Sync and TDMA Ratios.

So, the short answer is NO - there is no way to have your UBNT CPE's understand how to do GPS Sync and talk Cambium 'language'. :)

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the answer and for explanation.

We will think how to do it, to upgrade to Cambium.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Bogdan.

hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I really appreciate this.

thank you.

Best regards,

Bogdan.