ePMP "Ask the Experts" April 08

The team is back for the second session of questions, so please post them here. When referencing a comment, please use the "reply" button on the post and then use the "quote" button so that the text is brought to your response.

@Brian Sullivan wrote:

Any plans to release ePMP in the 4.9 GHz Public Safety band?

This is something we're investigating. No firm plans yet. 

@ninedd wrote:

Another thing we really like about StarOS's management, is the ability to throughput test to any other StarOS device on our network.  So, we can test from a CPE to the AP - but we can also test from a customer CPE ''through'' our network to any other StarOS device on the network.

Sometimes, when a client is having a speed issue, it might be their link, but it might also be something on the network somewhere - and being able to test from their CPE to their AP is good, but then also being able to step hop by hop through the network and find where the problem is is great.

We often can issolate where the broken cable, the Ethernet switch that needs power cycling, or the new source of interference is in a couple moments, and it really helps being able to do a throughput test from that StarOS CPE to any other StarOS device on the network.

Can we do something like that with the ePMP Subscriber Modules, or is the Throughput Test limited to just testing the wireless to the AP it's connected to?

Hi, 

The throughput test is limited to just the wireless link. We will consider your request for running a throughput test to any device in the network. 

Thanks,
Sriram

@chaoke wrote:
ifePMPSTA andWiFi AP can be integrated into one device, they just work at the same time or works alone?

Hi, 

You cannot have a ePMP device working as an SM AND as a WiFi AP simultaneously. They are two different modes and the device can operate in only one mode at a time. 

Thanks,

Sriram

@mmazariegos1213 wrote:

To add more throughput to cluster, can I put more than 6 sectors of 60°? I mean 2 sectors oriented to the same direction to duplicate the bandwidth capacity?

Yes, you can do this as long as you have enough frequency separation (guard band) between the two APs pointing in the same direction. You also need to make sure both these APs do onot overlap (or at least have 5 MHz of guard band) with the adjacent sectors, provided they are all GPS Synchronized. 

Thanks,

Sriram

@Cambium_Sri wrote:

@mmazariegos1213 wrote:

To add more throughput to cluster, can I put more than 6 sectors of 60°? I mean 2 sectors oriented to the same direction to duplicate the bandwidth capacity?

Yes, you can do this as long as you have enough frequency separation (guard band) between the two APs pointing in the same direction. You also need to make sure both these APs do onot overlap (or at least have 5 MHz of guard band) with the adjacent sectors, provided they are all GPS Synchronized. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Details on frequency separation can be found HERE

Ana,

Unfortunately, CNS does NOT support PTP250. I also think we need to talk to you to help with the CNS problems you are having. ePMP supports SNMPv2 but I have a feeling something more basic is happening on your end.

Can you share contact information so I can have a support person contact you?

Sakid

Hello,

Responding to one of your first questions. We have taken care to add statistics into ePMP that give you a quick view on whether a particular link is at capacity or not. Combination of Air Capacity, utilization parameters can tell you about the health of the link. 

I think a webinar on troubleshooting/debugging an ePMP system could help and we could go over all of the statistics.

Sakid

p.s. CNS does give you some of the same view and we are also working on a next generation tool that will make pre-emptive monitoring of your network far easier.

1 Like

Sure, my email is agonzalez@enlaces.com.gt

Thanks!

That would be an excellent webinar!

@Rex McGuire wrote:

That would be an excellent webinar!

Watch for the webinar coming soon. Be sure to post any questions you have now to this thread and we will be sure to cover the topic.

Welcome! Our next session with the ePMP development team begins in a few minutes. You can post your questions now.

When responding to a statement, please use the REPLY button below the post, and then use the QUOTE button to insert the statement into your response.

I like the ePMP for the most part but I cannot convince others on my team it's a viable replacement for the PMP 100 gear.  Their concerns are all centered around latency.  Realistically, how much more latency do you guys think you can shave off with firmware updates alone going into the future?  Also, any update on the C3-VoIP/wireless router combo release date? 

We use both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz ePMP in some cases.  I would recommend others try the dual slant 2.4 antenna from KP Performance as it does seem to mitigate interference much better than standard H-V patterns of the stock sector antenna

Hi.  The ePMP is commodity radio chipset in order to bring the price down, and to capatalize on the economy of scale. That's all excellent.  However, my question is:  Is there anything in development in the ePMP family that is custom-silicon, like the AirFiber or the Prism Chip?  I do understand that the other Cambium product lines (450, 650, etc) are more customized hardware, but I wondered if there is anything coming in the ePMP family that is custom silicon?

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any plan to support multicast IP traffic for uplink. When?

We will have your answer in a few minutes. 

Hi Nathan,

Yes, we continue to include improvements that enhance / decrease our latency for our TDD mode.  We have four sets of improvements planned.

1. We are including UL latency improvements for PMP deployments in the 2.4.3 release due out around the end of May.

2. We plan to decrease latency through passing data more often in the current frame  in both the dowlink and uplink in the 2.5 release probably in the July timeframe.

3. We are releasing a 2.5 msec frame which will allow latency to be decreased by a significant amount as compared to our 5 msec frame.  This is part of the 2.5 release.

4. We plan on improving on the mechanism to recognize data received at the SM such that it is scheduled by the AP as quickly as possible for the uplink.  This will come out after the 2.5 release.

Dan

Hi Ninedd,

For ePMP our goal is to optimize both cost and performance.  You have correctly pointed out an advantage of our current solution which builds upon Atheros 802.11 chipsets with our best in class TDD MAC that provides excellent scaleability at a best in market price.

For the future I cannot reveal future products that have not been announced, but let's just say that what you propose is something that we could accomplish for the ePMP product line that would allow for even greater scaleability.  We have a rich roadmap planned to decrease cost and improve scaleability and performance.

Dan

Hi Yovar,

We definitely support the passing of multicast data today in the uplink.  When we receive multicast traffic at the SM, we send it to the AP as unicast traffic at a rate that optimizes the throughput via our rate adapt algorithm.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question.  Could you provide more details as to what uplink multicast functionality for which you are looking or perhaps wanting added to ePMP.

Dan

@Daniel Sullivan wrote:

Hi Yovar,

We definitely support the passing of multicast data today in the uplink.  When we receive multicast traffic at the SM, we send it to the AP as unicast traffic at a rate that optimizes the throughput via our rate adapt algorithm.

Perhaps I am not understanding your question.  Could you provide more details as to what uplink multicast functionality for which you are looking or perhaps wanting added to ePMP.

Dan

for those not familiar with ePMP and Multicast, you will find more information HERE