ePMP Release 4.4.1 is now available

ePMP Release 4.4.1 is now available at https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files in the ePMP group.  

Any reason there is no release notes?

2 Likes

We’ve been rushing to deliver you the latest and greatest bug fixes and stability improvements that missed the release notes.

In short we have the following notes:

1. New feature: cnMaestro Zero-Touch
2. Bugfix: DNS requests are not being forwarded by F300 SM in NAT mode
3. Multiple stability improvements including fixed disconnects on both 11n and 11ac

Dima M

When will be ready the release notes?

1 Like

I would like to see some release notes as well. Why the secrecy? "multiple improvements" tends to be a ubnt thing meaning ten engineers stuffed changes into a release without talking to each other or documenting and there is a looming network wide disaster

2 Likes

No secrecy it just took us some time to put all of them together. Please find attached.

Dmitry

5 Likes

We have downloaded 4.4.1 to all our 300 SM's and also to our 3k AP's. We are having issues with customer SM's losing internet connectivity through the ethernet port but we are still able to remotely manage the SM. If we reboot the SM radio internet comes back and the customer is surfing for a couple hours. This is happening on all of towers with 3K AP's and 300SM's. We were hoping the latest bug fix would be a solution for us, but its proven to not work for us. Help!

Hi ajthomas,

Can you please send me an e-mail at dmitry.moiseev@cambiumnetwork.com? 

Thanks,
Dmitry

Is the 4.x release now the recommended release for the 1000/2000ap and all 11n subscriber modules ?

@Spookie wrote:

Is the 4.x release now the recommended release for the 1000/2000ap and all 11n subscriber modules ?

4.4.1 is working quite well with e1k/e2k radios... I'd recommend it at this point.

1 Like

I installed the latest 4.4.1 software on a site and had the one of the 3k APs  have a GPS lost connection and the radio shut off.

has anyone else had this issue with the latest build?

@Spookie wrote:

has anyone else had this issue with the latest build?

We hae been rock solid on 4.4.1

1 Like

Looking much more stable on epmp 3k

2 Likes

Any real benefit upgrading to 4.4.1 a network of 3.5.6 epmp1000/2000 aps and epmp1000, force180 cpes and XM/XW ubiquiti cpes elevated?

(no plan to go to epmp3000 atm)

Hi Roan,

As a rule of thumb I advice to upgrade if something doesn’t work for you, you need new functionality or security fixes.

With 4.4.1 comparing to 3.5.6 we have it all: new features like compatibility with 11ac, “try config”, cnMaestro zero touch and many other small improvements.

We also improved throughput(don’t forget to turn off Short GI for sectors with XM devices). It was reported that customers saw about 10% increase.

Last but not least we are constantly improving security.

By the end it is up to you to decide if it is worth it to try. If you decide to try it makes sense to start with one sector.

Thanks,
Dmitry

2 Likes

I love the new features, however out of the four ePMP 1000 GPS enabled radios I stepped up from 3.5.6 to 4.4.1, three out of the four radios exhibited catastrophic falure of GPS functionality. The only option to restore GPS required me to call Cambium support and have an engineer remote into my machine to SCP a fix from my local network to the radio, which was then flashed to the GPS board. A 75% failure rate is pretty discouraging, especially considering the somewhat barbaric and tedious "backdoor" means of patching the bug which is entirely dependent on the availability of a Camibum engineer.

Perhaps if there were documenation availble enabling administrators to perform this fix themselves and bypass the middleman it would be more convenient, however the process requires root level access to the radio which appears to be Cambium employee exclusive. If this had been on an AP in production, our customers would not have been happy. Fortunately I decided to implement 4.4.1 on a new site.

Can somebody from Cambium confirm that root level access to these radios has not been granted to the public?

1 Like

Please send me a tech support ticket at dmitry.moiseev@cambiumnetworks.com I want to check the details why the "barbaric" way was necessary after an update.

I can confirm that root access to these radios has not been granted to the public. More than that to get low level root access it is required to know the admin password.

Dmitry

Hi,

having an undocumented root backdoor is a VERY BAD IDEA.. better to disclose and use at each one responsability.  All vendor provide root access to the equipment.

We know you run OpenWRT with custom hacks inside.. and lots have means to gain root even in the latest versions of FW...

This is a delayed bomb that will explode you at some time...

regards

Antonio

Hi!

There are no backdoors in ePMP as I mentioned.

I don’t see how additional security measures that ePMP makes it a bomb.

Dmitry

1 Like

having an undocumented root account with a secret password which only cambium knows is a backdoor

regards

antonio

1 Like