ePMP Software Release 5.6 is now available

Supported Platforms

• ePMP AX Platforms

Download the firmware and documentation from:

Features

TDD Mode
ePMP links operate using TDD. The links employ a TDD cycle in which the AP determines which
Subscriber Modules may transmit and when based on the configured downlink/uplink ratio (duty cycle).
TDD Variable Ratio is available from day one.
The feature allows to configure TDD ratio values in the range 75/25 - 30/70 with a step 5.
Flexible mode is available for the configuration as well.

Defects Fixed

Tracking ID Products Description
AXG-7765 All SMs were not able to associate with an AP with the “ERROR PROP DELAY CALCULATION” error message.
AXG-8068 All SMs were not able to connect with “INVALID SECURITY KEY” the disconnect error message.
AXG-8207 All General stability improvements for devices operating in the TDD mode.
AXG-8258 All Spectrum Analyzer stability improvements
AXG-8380 All Combined SNR/RSSI were calculated incorreclty in rare occasion
AXG-8381 All RSSI values became lower if the device was under noise injection.
AXG-8414 Force4625 GPS page was missing on UI
AXG-8468 Force4525, Force4625 Stability Improvements for Force4625 and Force4525 operating in TDD mode.
AXG-8467 All SMs association takes long time in TDD mode.
AXG-8450 All Incorrect Uplink RSSI calculation…
AXG-7319 All SMs disconnect when operating in TDD mode.

Limitations

It’s not recommended to use Force4xxx SMs in NAT mode. Some configuration changes in NAT mode may require SM’s reboot to be applied.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Halving throughput when switching from ePTP to TDD

Hello,

I noticed in the 5.6 beta the cautionary limitation to not use SM in NAT mode and understood that to be because it was still in beta. Now I see 5.6 with TDD is in general release but still has the NAT mode limitation. What is the timeline to correct that issue? We are currently using SMs in NAT mode and intend to continue to do so moving forward. Can the issue regarding SM in NAT mode be better explained?

Thanks

2 Likes

We are working on the issue.
Actually we are testing the fix right now.
And 5.6.1 Beta will be released shortly(7-10days).

If you are enabling Separate Wireless interface it doesn’t come up until the reboot of the SM.
That can happen with any other networking parameter configuration in NAT mode.
Rebooting the SM solves the issue.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Thanks! Glad to hear it is being worked on and I appreciate the explanation

TCP performance seems to have improved since the TDD alpha/beta we were running in December.

Wondering how much SNR before we should expect to see modulations higher than MCS7 on a 40Mhz channel?

On ePMP3000 I’ve got subs showing MCS8 as low as 28 SNR and MCS9 as low as 30 SNR, yet I’ve got a sub connected to 4500 not getting more than MCS7, despite 31 SNR.

1 Like

Hi guys, there is a future plan to add “Access Point TDD” function in the 4600C and 4625?
We have some F300-25 in “AP TDD” in our main tower doing small sectors connecting other towers or special clients with a limited 12 SM whith excellent results.
Thanks!

1 Like

So far there haven’t been any plans to add lite PtMP AP support for the F4525/4625/F400c/425 radios. If enough people ask though, they might relent like how they did with the low end e3k radios and eventually add in support for it.

1 Like

Yes Eric… we need to start pressioning now!

1 Like

I want it all and I want it now! LOL Seems strange not to add that functionality to the ePMP4000 line after all the whining on the ePMP3000 for the feature. The need has not gone away. We would definitely use it in small deployment scenarios.

2 Likes

Just again proves that Cambium doesn’t see us as ‘valued partners’. We’re not ‘partners’ if it’s not Cambium and us, working together to capture our clients. Instead Cambium sees US as the prey to be preyed upon.

It demonstrates they would literally remove every single feature out of these radios, and sell each and every one of them back to us with a separate license fee if they could.

NOTE: I STAND CORRECTED… Cambium DOES say below that this feature has not been ‘removed’ and that it’s is coming, and just not mature currently. I was wrong.

1 Like

ninedd, I think that’s a bit extreme. We appreciate the business of all partners who purchase Cambium. I’m not on the product team, but I can say that the team has to prioritize development efforts based on impact and demand and right now there are higher priorities than AP TDD functionality in SM’s. An example is interoperability with prior generations of ePMP. Understandably, the AP TDD for SM’s is a use case that would benefit certain scenarios and will likely be committed to the roadmap in the future.

1 Like

OK - so you’re saying that this hasn’t been ‘decided to be removed by choice’ again? That it’s simply ‘not available yet’? If that’s the case, then I stand corrected.

2 Likes

Hi ninedd, yes that is correct. I just confirmed with PLM that they will commit to the development effort to add this feature into the e4k platform so e4k SM’s can operate in AP TDD mode.

3 Likes

OK, I’m surprised - but pleasantly surprised. I do stand humbly corrected then. Thank you, I appreciate you getting back to me with that info.

1 Like

Latency to a 4500 subscriber vs a 3000 subscriber is not very impressive.

3000L to Force 300-25:

4500 to Force 425

Is the e4k in TDD or WLR mode? I’ve generally had better latency/jitter in WLR mode for lower numbers of clients. TDD mode seems to have higher overall latency, especially for those clients with poor modulation/RSSI. That being said, TDD scales better and at higher client counts, average latency is better for everyone in our experience. There’s def room for TDD optimization and I’m sure that they’re working on this. ePTP mode for e4k works very well and latency/jitter is comparable to e3k.

2 Likes

TDD. WLR makes no sense for us as we need GPS sync. The customer has reasonable modulation.

Since updating to 5.6.0 when doing a spectrum analysis when I select a specific range it doesn’t show the area that I have selected. Had to downgrade to 5.4.2 just to do spec’s when we just put up some 4500’s Anyone else seeing this issue?