ePMP VOIP Priority

OS 2.6.1

according to the manual:

VoIP Priority
Enabled: When enabled, two entries are automatically added to the first and second rows of the QoS Classification Rules table, one with Rule Type CoS (5) and one with Rule Type DSCP (46). The addition of these rules ensures that VoIP traffic passed over the radio downlink is given highest priority. The CoS and DSCP values may be modified to accommodate non-standard VoIP equipment.

I have seen that COS is almonst everything 6 for VOIP (for example in CISCO ATAs)

Also in Airmax priority mode  by UBNT it is on COS 6.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205231750-airMAX-How-is-QoS-and-prioritization-handled-by-airMAX-

Can you please set with the latest firmware upgrade, to set everything to COS 6 ?

Hi Maggiore81,

802.1p Priority - this ranges from binary 000 (0) for low priority to binary 111 (7) for high priority.

Please find common priority levels defined by IEEE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_P802.1p

Please note you can add your own priority rule with COS 6 value on every ePMP device.

You should just enable Traffic Priority and add new entry to QoS table.

Thank you.

Hello.

I know that I can change it, but I have hundred of epmp deployed and it could be a mess to change the settings in a single device.

You can use template in cnMaestro for example for all your devices.

Also I believe Cisco uses CoS for voice traffic by default too, because that is recommended by IEEE.

Thank you.

Hello.

so if the traffic matches or DSCP or COS, it is prioritized as well?

If you simply enable 'Traffic Priority' and 'VoIP Priority' it will prioritize any packets that match DSCP=46 OR CoS=5.  You can also create your own rules (without needing to enable 'VoIP Priority', just 'Traffic Priority') to classify certain traffic as VoIP priority - for instance based on traffic to/from the IP(s) of your own VoIP service.

If you have a large number of SMs that you need to enable on you can run a pretty simple script build around snmpset, like (linux):

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/snmpset -v2c -cCommunity $1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.3.11.1.0 i 1
/usr/bin/snmpset -v2c -cCommunity $1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.3.11.2.0 i 1
/usr/bin/snmpset -v2c -cCommunity $1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.4.3.0 i 1
/usr/bin/snmpset -v2c -cCommunity $1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.4.4.0 i 1

assumes your R/W community string is "Community".  (I use numeric OIDs so it won't depend on having MIB file) First line enables QoS, second enables the two default VoIP rules, third saves changes, fourth applies.  $1 will get replaced by whatever IP you pass the script.  ("voipenable.sh 10.12.12.30" for example)

Obviously other OS, IPs in mysql or plain text file, etc can be accomodated.  On our network I'd run a mysql query that returns just the IPs of all ePMP APs, for example, and pass each IP to this script. 

for ip in $(mysql -sss -p dbname -u user -e 'select ip from ap where devtype="epmp" and expect=1;');do echo $ip;voipenable.sh $ip;done

j

1 Like

Maggiore81,

Yes traffic is prioritized by DSCP and COS labels as well.

Thank you.