ePMP1000 2.4 on Ubiquiti Omni

WE're fixing to start using the ePMP1000 products, and I may be getting ahead of myself here, but wanted to know your opinions.

We are getting in a shipment of the ePMP1000 2.4Ghz w/ sync AP's. I want to start rolling this out on at all of our POPs hopefully, but I was thinking about another scenario. If we have an area that cannot reach our towers due to tree coverage, we install a 60' creosote pole, and use it as a repeater site to pick up more of a customer base. We currently put a Ubiquiti 5ghz omni with a RocketM5 as well as 2 Ubiquiti 3.65 ghz sector antennas. I want to get away from using the 3Ghz equipment altogether. Would it be a huge issue to start putting up a 5ghz omni, as well as a ePMP NON-synced AP on a Ubiquiti 2.4ghz omni to replace the 3.65 sectors? Would it cause that much interference for us at our tower sites? I know this is very questionable, and I probably need to put everything in the field to test, but I don't have the equipment in hand yet to test and been having this on my mind for a little while. 

Give me some input on what you think about this scenario and if/how it would work. 

2 Likes

Hello,

If your concern is the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz devices interfering with each other,  I think you should be fine. Even though not exactly the same scenario, some members in the forum have deployed dual band sector antennas (http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/ePMP-2000-and-1000/Any-good-Dual-Multi-band-antennas-out-there/m-p/46485#M3920 for example). Having a non-synchronized 2.4GHz AP co-located with a 5GHz APs in the same tower should be ok, as they will be operating on different bands.

Regards

1 Like

My biggest concern was the 2.4Ghz non-synced omni antenna interfering with the GPS synced 2.4 equipment on our tower that is around 2+ miles away. I'm used to using 3.65 and 5ghz together, but want to get away from the 3.65 altogether. As long as the omni doesn't cause us too much grief, I think that is the way we will go in the future. I know it all comes down to good channel planning and sector downtilt, so we may start playing with this idea soon.

@bleger wrote:

My biggest concern was the 2.4Ghz non-synced omni antenna interfering with the GPS synced 2.4 equipment on our tower that is around 2+ miles away. I'm used to using 3.65 and 5ghz together, but want to get away from the 3.65 altogether. As long as the omni doesn't cause us too much grief, I think that is the way we will go in the future. I know it all comes down to good channel planning and sector downtilt, so we may start playing with this idea soon.

the omnis can be synced againt your sectors.     its tricky, but is possible.    the omnis can tell you what they hear, and the sectors as well. if you can plan to not be on the same channel, even better. but GPS can be employed on omnis.  its much tricker to tell whats going to happen having a wide open bleed but we've done it here. 

1 Like

I replaced all my ubquity equipment with epmp 1000s sectors. 2.4. I would setup my Sectors with a different channel and freq then i sent my installers out with 10 radios each replacing everything on the SM side. I then powered down my old ubquity equipment and removed from my towers. IF you setup your epmp equipment on a different channel in a seperate freq they will work together just fine.  P.S. Replacing the Ubquity Equipment with Cambium has made me and my company very happy and the most important the Subs.

Thanks

Mike

2 Likes