ePMP2000 with Beamforming Antenna

So, we ordered our first ePMP2000 AP with beamforming antenna about a month ago or so.  When we got it, the instructions stated "Connect the cables between the smart antenna and ePMP 2000 access point as shown.  Connect left to left and right to right; do not cross."  So, that is what we did, but when logged into the AP it wouldn't show that the smart antenna was connected.  This also meant that our H pol from the AP was not aligned with the H pol on the smart antenna. Same with V Pol.

So, we crossed them.  Which now meant H pol and H pol aligned up and V pol and V pol aligned up.  Now we are getting the message when logging into the AP that the smart anntena is connected, Powered On.  (see screen shot)  So by not following the instructions and crossing the cables the smart anntena now works.

So we ordered two more ePMP2000's with beamforming smart antennas.  We crossed the cables like we did with the first unit we ordered and that didn't work.  So we followed the instructions this time around and did NOT cross the cables and when logging into the AP we get the message Smart Anntenna is connected, Powered On. 

So why is it with one AP we had to cross the cables to get the smart anntenna to connect and power on and with the other AP we couldn't cross the cables?  Did something change in production?

If I follow this diagram, I agree I shouldn't have to cross the cables to get the H Pol and V Pol to lign up, but if I don't cross them the smart antenna won't state that it's connected and it won't show powered on.

Attached is also a picture of the new AP set up.  Not crossing them works.  On the older ePMP2000 I have to cross them in order to get things to work. 

Hi,

You can see 1 and 2 labels for RFconnector ports on Smart Antenna.

Same labels you can find on ePMP2000 boards.

You should connect 1 to 1 and 2 to 2.

Thank you.

@Fedor wrote:

Hi,

You can see 1 and 2 labels for RFconnector ports on Smart Antenna.

Same labels you can find on ePMP2000 boards.

You should connect 1 to 1 and 2 to 2.

Thank you.

Right, and when we do that the smart antenna will not show it's connected.  When we connect 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 the smart antenna shows connected and powered on.  Thoughts?

On the most recent AP's we just purchased, connecting 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 works.

Hello,

Most likely the first ePMP2000 you received was not cabled up properly in the factory. It should not affect the BSA functionality though, but I can see how this can be confusing. You can always contact customer support to initiate an RMA.

Regards