Ethernet and Powersupplys

Mr Meadows,

I got one of these opened… I cant see this thermal thing you was telling me about…

I see a transformer with a small circuit board soldered to it… I see 2 resisotors and a capacitor soldered to it…

the two little wires coming out of the windings solder to that little board you see just do a continuity check and it will be open just put a thermal fuse there.

you may have to peel the tape back a little but to just test just us a small peice of wire for now and you will see it works provided the windings are not burned but i would reccomend using a thermal fuse just for protection i would hate to hear of a house catching on fire.

if you still cannot see it i will take a pic of it for you

I have to say that modifying the power supplies in any way opens you up to lawsuits. If for any reason a fire starts near the power supply, the fire inspector is going to see that modified power supply and come after you.

These are UL listed until you crack them open.

It’s not worth the 8.50 guys.

mmm… I found the thermal switch… its well hidden…

Jerry is right… .I don’t think it is worth the hassel… although I will still fix one just test it… and understand what these thermal switches do and how they work…

I’m having the same type issues after storms I lose the ethernet port on the SM sometimes the power supply and sometimes the port on the switch that the canopy is running to. The SM will still power up and in most cases stay registered to the AP but no communication with the SM through the ethernet port.
In the last 9 months at this small 10 SM site I have replaced at least 8 SM’s with the same problem everytime
At first we thought it was an AC surge we added UPS Back ups and still have the problems. We do have the 300SS grounded inline to the SM. The power supply ran directly into the port on the switch and jumper from the power supply to the 300 SS and 300 SS to the SM
Are any of you seeing the ethernet port on the SM’s or AP’s going out?

Michael J,

Not all of the ports on the 300SS surge suppressors are grounded, only the pins for power over ethernet are grounded. This causes surges to still go through the data pins.