Ethernet locking up with P10 radios....

Are you guys using 8.2 or 8.2.2? 8.2.2 fixes a lot of Ethernet problems.

Jerry,

I wish I could say different, but I still see at least some problems with either any of the 8.2 flavors. For the most part, we are running 8.2.2 across the board, but some APs (dont ask me why - all of them are P9s) had to be brought back to 8.1.5 to stop them rebooting frequently (with no telling info in the event log :frowning: )

And, to make it worse, Moto support at best says, “Oh, you have to run 8.2.2… it fixes all the problem”. And it gets better, almost all my P9’s are a year old now, so now it takes an act of God to get Moto to give support at all on the problem without paying the software update fee.

Again, the problem is usually not consistent across the board with firmware versions. It almost seems that a certain characteristic in an SM on a tower can cause the AP to go funky or vice versa. 95% of it works great. But, I have lost some customers through this whole 8.x fiasco, because we asked them to hang on while waiting for buggy firmware to be fixed.

That is rediculous to have to now spend more money to maybe, just maybe stumble across someone at support who might be able to help. Pay money to talk to someone about THEIR buggy firmware??

Can anyone really not feel a little “screwed” in that situation??

I have bought almost $ 600K of Moto gear over 5 years.

Yes, I like the product. Yes, I am sticking with the product. BUT, lets have some backbone and call things what they are or they will never fix the problem internally to manage these situation much better AND treat people who are buying lots of the product and KNOW the product with the respect they desrerve by giving them a working solution to what they have paid for.

Paul

Your post is exactly how I felt and one of the reasons I went to Animal Farm.

After listening to and watching the lead engineer from Moto fall on his sword in front of everyone and explain that they know they screwed up, what happened, and more importantly that they are taking steps to correct the problems and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

My confidence in Moto and Canopy has been restored. The money from paid support will be going right back into support for training, and more staff.

PART-15 Plug:

If you want to get some expert advise and help, join the Part-15.org Motorola discussion list. Engineers from Motorola as well as some Tier 2 and Tier 3 support guys are participants there. Additionally some of the biggest Moto ISP’s are members. there are other valuable lists as well.

These lists are going from free to paid on 2/1, but for 120.00 you will not find a more valuable resource. I thought I knew some stuff until I joined the Motorola list on Part-15 and realized I don’t know jack…

paulchops wrote:

I wish I could say different, but I still see at least some problems with either any of the 8.2 flavors. For the most part, we are running 8.2.2 across the board, but some APs (dont ask me why - all of them are P9s) had to be brought back to 8.1.5 to stop them rebooting frequently (with no telling info in the event log :( )

Are you using NTP on the AP's.....? There are some issues with NTP causing AP reboots on some later versions, but I don't believe it is UNIQUE to 8.2.2.

I'm running 8.2.2 across a network of around 1500 SM's, and a couple dozen AP's, with no reboot issues. I do have a couple of open bugs with support, but nothing show-stopping.

The people who really know what is going on at motorola (meaning the people who are in charge of making sure the code isn't broken), are very aware that they screwed up and are doing everything they can to fix the issues.

-forrest