Exalt 5ghz vs ptp 650

Hello falks, this week a prospect client just went away cause he prefered Exalt 5ghz tdm native radio over a 650 with IDU, he needs 8 E1 traffic and the other provider offered Exalt saying it is Tdm native, not emulated. Can any body help me to clarify why my customer dicieed to go for Exalt products eventhough they are way more expensive than Cambium. I read something about this 5ghz microwaves and they are TDD as well so, whyyy?. Thanks.

Hi,

As we describe in Is the PTP NIDU based on pseudo wire or native transmission of TDM? the TDM solution based on PTP 650 and the NIDU is technically a pseudo-wire approach. Exalt Wireless correctly identify that standard pseudo-wire transmission for TDM over Ethernet is not normally well-suited for use over microwave radios. They point out that latency can be quite high, latency is often not constant, and efficiency can be poor because of the high overhead of multiple protocol headers. These are exactly the reasons why we developed a different approach for our TDM solution with the NIDU. Our solution provides low latency that is exactly predictable using LINKPlanner, very low wander, and efficient transmission. Furthermore, configuration of the PTP 650 solution is very much more straightforward than is the case with generic pseudo-wire systems.

We provide much more information about the NIDU in ptp nidu faq including some impressive plots showing the very low wander results. The argument used by your competitor is not valid when comparing the Exalt and Cambium offerings.

One further advantage of the NIDU and PTP 650 approach is that the TDM interfaces are indoors (meaning that there is no need to run multiple E1 or T1 cables up the mast) whilst the radio is on the mast (meaning that there are no RF losses in long coaxial cables or waveguides).

Mark

3 Likes