Extend the range of cnPilot e 410

Hi, I know e410 can go as far as 180-mtrs as alleged in its data sheet. This is not  true for my e410, if you move some 10 to 15 mtrs away, the signal is lost. 

We've tried to put it outside and yielded same result. Can anyone help me please?

I assume the 180m figure is clear LOS? Are you doing your testing with clear LOS? Also, what bands are you using for your test, 2.4ghz or 5ghz? Have you checked to make sure that the power is turned up to the legal maximum EIRP for your country for both bands? Have you used the channel scan tool to make sure that you're using a channel that has as few other AP's on it as possible? Have you tried using a mix of clients like a phone, a tablet, and a laptop to see if there's a problem with your original test client?

Come back with answers to these questions so we can better help you. Thanks!

Hi Dan,

Greetings!!

The range mentioned in the Data sheet is the maximum distance it can cover when there is no interference and blockage. May I know which device are you using to check the signal at 10 to 15 mtrs and on which Band 2.4GHz/5GHz. Do you mean you are not seeing the WLAN/SSID or you are not able to connect to the WLAN/SSID at that distance. Have you tried playing with the Transmit power settings on the E410.

Best Regards,

Gupta

Hi, initally we'veisntalled the AP at the ceiling of my office. Then we've performed several tests, with:

Channel: auto

Transmit power: auto

Radio: auto(2.4 and 5Ghz)

Result: Dismal range 

We've tried several combinations and obtained the same result. So we've decided to remove the AP and installed it outside, under the awning and we have it installed wall mounted.  The signal however has not improved.

I'm here in the Philippines, I own and operate a two-storey transient inn, with  8 rooms, and the signal from the AP could hardly reach the second floor.

We have also tried your your suggestion and used a mix of different devices, but yielded the same result.

Hi Gupta, if you move several meters away from the AP, like getting accross the road, or going up the second floor, the signal is already lost. My device can no longer see or detect the SSID.

We have tried and played with several combinations, in the cn Maestro and in the stand alone controller, but the outcome was still the same. There is another issue with the 5 Ghz, because if we choose this option, we cannot see the SSID  in the list of available wireless connections.

Hi Dan,

Buy the sounds of it the building is quite large and maybe too large for just one access point (from any manufacturer). Also you have to consider that Wi-Fi is very much a 2 way conversation, putting a really powerful access point that pushes signal to the furthest corners of your property is no good if the signal from the client can’t get back to the access point.

I would be interested to know the building materials of the walls in your inn as this can have a big impact on coverage. Do you have any sound proofing in the walls? Also if you have floor plans and you are happy to share them (either here or via PM) this would help me/us get a better understanding of the building.

Regarding the 5Ghz issue, are you able to use a separate device to see if the 5Ghz SSID is present. Some devices only have 2.4Ghz radios.

HI, it is just a 3 storey transient inn, having 3 rooms on the ground floor, and another 3 rooms on the second floor. Rest are stock rooms. We are here in a tropical country, the building material are made from cement and I guess 6 in. blocks. Each rooms  are installed with glass panels. 

But once you get inside the rooms, signal is significantly dropped to just 20%. Move a little further away from the window and the signal is dead. 

We've placed a pocket wifi next to the AP, and tested their range. and the pocket wifi is giving better range.

Moreso, AP is not broadcasting at 5Ghz. Does it have something to do with my router, CISCO DPC3827 which is not 5Ghz capable?

@Dan Suarez wrote:

HI, it is just a 3 storey transient inn, having 3 rooms on the ground floor, and another 3 rooms on the second floor. Rest are stock rooms. We are here in a tropical country, the building material are made from cement and I guess 6 in. blocks. Each rooms  are installed with glass panels. 

But once you get inside the rooms, signal is significantly dropped to just 20%. Move a little further away from the window and the signal is dead. 

We've placed a pocket wifi next to the AP, and tested their range. and the pocket wifi is giving better range.

Moreso, AP is not broadcasting at 5Ghz. Does it have something to do with my router, CISCO DPC3827 which is not 5Ghz capable?

The Cisco router/modem not being 5GHz capable should not impact the AP as it is configured independently and both bands should be operational on the AP.

Can you please reconfirm the configuration (make sure the WLAN settings do point to both radios and not just 2.4GHz) and that channel on 5GHz is set to auto?

If you still see issues please submit a ticket at support.cambiumnetworks.com and send in the tech-support from the AP so our support team can check and see what is going on.

From my experience in the field, I have installed several E410 on different environments and I can tell that with default configuration on the radios you can easily reach up to 30 mts around so the radius will reach up to 60mts, with no obstructions. Any AP signal from any vendor will be reduced if you have a concrete wall in between your client device.
If your AP is in a first floor the concrete in between floors will cause lots of attenuation but if you have an opening between this two floors I will suggest to install your E410 in the second floor so your signal will reach better the first floor instead of going upwards.
If you think of the WiFi signal as a light beam and if you are installing in a hallway the walls will cause reflection of the signal and every bounce will cause attenuation and signal lost.
About 2.4ghz and 5ghz, 2.4 ghz will have better coverage since the signal strength is better than 5 ghz but 5ghz have better performance since it has more available channels resulting in better throughput and more bandwidth avalilable over WiFi, not all the devices support 5 ghz so if you are testing with a non AC device you will not see the SSID deployed in 5ghz, even if you are a few meters from the AP.
For 5ghz testing use high end Samsung up to S5 model with android based software you can install a free app called WiFi analyzer which is a good tool to help you understand better your network or apple devices up to iPhone 4, or Mac computers usually come with AC WiFi dualband antennas.
When you make a test you must have a minimum of -65 dbi’s signal in the place that you have to reach in order to have a good performance, if you reach -66 or more you may be experiencing bad percormance since you are out of the minimum range.
If you reach -55 or less you’ll have better performance so try relocating the AP’s to see where you get the better signal, sometimes is just necessary to move the AP a couple of meters to reach better a location but that will only happen if you know your network.
Try doing a site survey without fixing the AP to the final location, E410 is a very good choice regarding price, functionality and performance but you May have to understand better how WiFi works.

Hope this help.

1 Like

HI Dan!

With wifi plan, i think you need heatmap for your plan. Some tool can help you to make the heatmap.

You could explain exactly the material of your room

Ex: the wall, the class, Cabinets, ...

I share with you that the plan i make for my customer with cisco tool.

Thanks!

@Dan Suarez wrote:

Hi, initally we'veisntalled the AP at the ceiling of my office. Then we've performed several tests, with:

Channel: auto

Transmit power: auto

Radio: auto(2.4 and 5Ghz)

Result: Dismal range  

Have you tried without "Auto" options?

Put fixed channel and full Transmit power. For radio use both and then test. 

If you have closed space with your own infrastructure, means you control spectrum. For that reason make fixed channel plan no matter which AP vendor you use. 

As alternative try changing country code settings to some other country and re-test. 

hi dan,

as suggested in one of previous reply, please share the ap techdump. that help us to see if we have any issue on setting radio power. you have said comparision is made with 3rd party vendor ap. hope comparsion is made by placing both the aps at the same place and making same radio configurations like power and channel. if you are ok, can you share the 3rd party ap model number