F300-13 AP Mode supports PMP

I have an F300-13 running in AP mode, firmware 4.4.1 and it supports PMP mode like a regular F180. I do not see this capability listed in the documentation. Other F300 products that I am familiar with such as the F300-25 and F300-19 do not support PMP mode. Can anyone confirm the F300-13 supports PMP mode or is this a bug?

F300-13 doesn’t support PMP mode.
It might be a bug in a very early FW version.

Thank you.

1 Like

You’re probably sick of people telling you this - but the Force300’s SHOULD support PMP mode, just like all previous ePMP 1000 and 2000 series SM’s always did.

Is the 300’s not supporting PMP a Regulations/Certification/Technical issue or just a Marketing thing ?

As is the majority of such cases, it’s a mix of technical and marketing reasons.
Supporting a big number of hardware platforms and full forward and backward compatibility is really challenging to allocate resources to keep SMs operating in AP role.
We sincerely hope for your understanding.

Thank you.

I want to be honest with you guys Fedor - and I don’t want to sugar coat my feelings on this.
I don’t understand, I don’t agree, and I feel betrayed by this marketing/business decision.
This is one of the reasons I’ve purchased other brands again since this decision.

Back in the day the $300 motorola canopy SM and the $1600 canopy AP were the exact same radio , motorola just disabled the option in the SM’s (they could turn an SM into AP in a pinch).

Anyway, I was really very surprised when ePMP first came out and they didn’t block the ability for SM’s to be AP’s on the 1000’s, seemed so un-moto-like.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that.
Add I would agree with you that it’s an unpopular decision.
But sometimes you have to sacrifice a part for the good of the whole.
Please take into account the following:

• AC SMs can be still used in AP TDD PTP role.
  • AC devices are fully compatible with N devices.
  • AC devices will be compatible with AX devices.

Thank you.

Quick follow-up to my original post. Once I upgraded the firmware to 4.5 the capability disappeared. Downgrading to the 4.4.1 version did NOT restore the capability. Certainly a bug - I would recommend this be posted as I could envision other people getting excited that this capability existed, and then be faced with some re-engineering challenges once they tried to upgrade. Thanks.

2 Likes

did you actually connect multiple clients?
You can change modes via SNMP and config file to get unlisted modes

Yes and it performed very well. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Yes. We also used TDD AP mode in SMs and that worked very well, until it was removed.

But none of that matters once one of your ex-customers buys an ubiquity AP.
After that happens, none of the above matters, and all is lost.

1 Like

So increase the associated station limit number from 1 to 10, and that solves everything.

10 Clients is a reasonable limit for a small low density deployment, plus it essentially gives us back the 'Lite AP; that is now missing from your product lineup. And it allows people to buy a Cambium F300 as a starter AP, instead of choosing to some other brand.

2 Likes

Hi Fedor do you know when we can get the version 4.5.6 for get a good performance white the ap , this 300_13 L is not stable to connect which 3000 all time and the Q’s is not completed correct

4.6 will be released this week.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.
We will discuss that internally and revert to you.

Thank you.

2 Likes

So - it’s been 3 weeks since you said you’d get discuss and reply regarding Cambium’s decision.

We have a bunch more small MicroPOP’s we are upgrading this year. I just placed an order for 12 KP Dual-Frequency/Dual-Polarity OMNI’s on Friday. I’d like to know which make of radios I should be ordering for them?

this just killed our zero touch predeploy environment.
The SMs DO NOT have DHCP at the ethernet, so you cant do mass onboarding via a switch, you have to have an access point for them to connect to.
Even with the hidden stuff when 300 came out, like TDD PTP, you could set this via SNMP and it would work.
setting .1.3.6.1.4.1.17713.21.3.8.2.51.0 to 1 will SET it, but a reboot changes it back to 4.

Yes, if you mention a work around in the Forums, Cambium will plug that hole.