Fiber Up Tower

Anyone? Bueller? If no one's tried it I'd like to be the guinea pig here, but I can't seem to find a place to order N000082L165A separately from the PTP 820e.

We've only installed PTP820s, I'd never seen that adapter (N000082L165A) before - it looks like a perfect answer to this situation for us.  If only they were orderable somewhere...

j

1 Like

Packitflux is your friend for powering Cambium PoE and sync with DC and fiber runs. Check them out they have alot of soultions for just this applcation. We have deployed Many Towers with just DC and Fiber and will do so for all new tower constructions. Works well with ePMP2000 - 3000 , PMP450m and PMP450i.

Anyone using a hybrid fiber/power cable and then using a distribution box to branch out to the AP's. Curious to know what everyones using, especially for the 3 GHz 450m. I don't want to run individual lines of power and fiber up a 350 Ft tower for an array of 450m APs.

We do just that with a hybrid fiber power and copper , then use packit flux for a break out box.

This is what we’re using for our 450m’s and 820C-HP’s. It’s a new installation so we will see how it holds up over the long haul. The fiber jumpers to the radios were pretty fragile, at least for one of our crews. With the high fiber count it would be a great solution for anyone needing bonded channels

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Going back to the original, Fibre-up-Tower subject… I thought it would be nice to show what we’ve been doing the last few years.
Since we’ve gotten away from using CMM4’s (and weren’t very interested in using a CMM5), we decided to create our own timing cabinets using Packetflux modules with Netonix Switches, for installation at the top of each of our towers. While we were refining our design for this, while maintaining the intention of getting away from many ethernet runs up the tower, we wondered how we could integrate Fibre. This would ultimately mean we could only need a tech wire for the Timing Cabinet, leaving Cat5 simply to provide PoE to PTP670’s.

So we worked with Clearfield to create a solution that worked for our application. Basically, it’s a small cabinet at the top of the tower containing a 12-port fibre cassette, fed via a microduct containing a 12-fibre MPO cable, which was connecting a 12-port fibre cassette at the bottom. We then connect the Timing Cabinet to the Fibre cabinet with a 6’ piece of the same Microduct, where we pass-through a single LC-indoor fibre cable to connect our cassette to the Netonix switch. And for our Backhaul radios, we use custom outdoor duplex 25’ fibre patch cables to connect the SPF ports on the PTP670’s to the cassettes.

I’m incredibly impressed with how easy we were able to make this work for our towers, and after about a dozen installations of this setup, I’m very happy with the simplicity and the results.
Clearfield actually just published a whitepaper about our solution for anyone looking for a pretty sweet fibre-up-a-tower product. I leave the link below:
WTC Communications Speeds Fixed Wireless Installation and Maintenance with Plug-and-Play Products from Clearfield®

My Timing Cabinet Design:

Fibre Cabinet @ Top:

Bottom Cabinet:

1 Like

We do a couple of methods depending on the client.

Solution #1 is we run a 12 count fiber up the tower and a separate DC line. The DC line is usually 10 gauge or bigger. This goes into a breakout box. The cell folks would call this a squid. We then run quality resistant (not armored) jumpers from a panel inside this breakout box to the radio. We don’t do armored because the armor has to be grounded properly since it is metal. this way we have no electronics at the top. We do this on backhaul only sites, or other sites were all the radios are SFP based.

The second type is the same as the first, except we add a Netonix or UBNT EdgePoint at the top. This way we can power radios that are copper based.

You just blew my mind and I have to find out of this works.

Yeah to be honest I’m a bit upset that I still haven’t heard of where to acquire these outside of PTP 820e kits. I’m still curious to try it out.