Fiber Up Tower

Looking at the PMP450m.  What is everyone doing for fiber up tower and how are you doing it?

josh from jade communications here.

we buy shielded fiber from FS.com and then plug into the optical port of 450m. it's worked out GREAT so far

2 Likes

Hello, 

We have been using Ubiquiti's pre-term LC/LC SM fiber. HERE. They sell it in 100, 200, and 300 ft. lengths, pre-terminated 6-count cable. Jacket is tough enough that if someone steps on it on the tower or drops a wrench on it, we don't need to worry about breaking glass up there and costly truck rolls to climb. 

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Power it via POE? and GPS? If I go 400' up I'm curious if that'll work. 

Hi! I am really new with PMP450.

In this case we use all the interface of the AP like this?

PSU: Power over Eth

AUX: Sync GPS

SFP: Fiber

I am a little lost in who is asking what questions in this thread... just to be clear though, the maximum length supported for each interface is as follows:

PoE (Main Data/Power port): 100m (300')

GPS via Ethernet or 3.5mm headphone jack: 35m (120')

SFP (optical): This can vary depending on the type of fiber used, but typical for multi-mode fiber is 100 Mbit/s for distances up to 2km (100BASE-FX), 1 Gbit/s up to 1000m, and 10 Gbit/s up to 550m.

1 Like

Is there a workable way to power it when the radio is, say, 500ft from connection point?  Communications are fine at that distance using fiber, but what about powering it??  There's no DC input AFAIK...

j

@CambiumMatt wrote:

GPS via Ethernet or 3.5mm headphone jack: 35m (120')

Hi, 

what if tower is higher? 
Should we buy one cnPulse every two 450m?

Thank you

@newkirk wrote:

Is there a workable way to power it when the radio is, say, 500ft from connection point?  Communications are fine at that distance using fiber, but what about powering it??  There's no DC input AFAIK...

Correct for the 5 GHz 450m, there is no DC input. The PoE, because it's going via Ethernet, must be within 300' of the radio unit. So, you could get the power up to an enclosure that is within 300', and have the Enhanced AC+DC PSU in that enclosure, which would take the power and convert to PoE at that point.

Would a solution like that work for you?

1 Like

Hi, 

what if tower is higher? 
Should we buy one cnPulse every two 450m?

The maximum length specified is the distance between the signal source and the radio ingress.

For the cnPulse or UGPS, it should be mounted on the tower within 35m of the radio (but typically should not be the highest element on the tower). It is best to limit the length of this cable as much as possible.

For providing sync to the 450m using cnPulse, please see this FSB. After the new revision is available, the answer is absolutely yes. cnPulse can support 1 450m inline (via PoE) and 1 via the AUX port.

@CambiumMatt wrote:

@newkirk wrote:

Correct for the 5 GHz 450m, there is no DC input. The PoE, because it's going via Ethernet, must be within 300' of the radio unit. So, you could get the power up to an enclosure that is within 300', and have the Enhanced AC+DC PSU in that enclosure, which would take the power and convert to PoE at that point.

Would a solution like that work for you?

More complicated than I'd prefer.  Since there's no ethernet link anyway (communicating across fiber) would we still be limited to ~300ft just for pushing DC?

j

Due to the thin gauge of the Ethernet wires, it's not recommended to go further than the 100m length, even if just doing DC.

Matt, any plans for a 5GHz 450m respin with a DC plug?

That’s something we really like about the PTP820s - SFP fiber plus DC really adds flexibility.

j

No plans for new hardware just yet... 

To be clear, you are requesting that the 450m (in 5 GHz) has a direct DC input added to accommodate the SFP/DC method of connection vs. PoE (power and data via Cat 5e). Correct?

I can't speak for others, but to me it seems that if we're using fiber for data then it's silly that we still need ethernet, and are still bound by ethernet limitations.  (What's the point of fiber, then?)  We currently utilize sync-over-ethernet on most of our APs, which obviously depends on ethernet as well, but options are always welcome.  (ePMP3000 as well - in that case there's an internal GPS available for sync, so power via direct DC and comm via SFP/fiber would be even more readily doable)

j

@CambiumMatt wrote:

No plans for new hardware just yet... 

To be clear, you are requesting that the 450m (in 5 GHz) has a direct DC input added to accommodate the SFP/DC method of connection vs. PoE (power and data via Cat 5e). Correct?

I wish everything used same scheme. We have severals towers with so many different methods of powering up gear it gives me a headache when I look in the tower building.  Seems like it would have made better sense if at least all the 450m units worked/powered up the same way.

Thanks.

@Anthony_SBB wrote:

Hello, 

We have been using Ubiquiti's pre-term LC/LC SM fiber. HERE. They sell it in 100, 200, and 300 ft. lengths, pre-terminated 6-count cable. Jacket is tough enough that if someone steps on it on the tower or drops a wrench on it, we don't need to worry about breaking glass up there and costly truck rolls to climb. 

Hope this helps!

How do you route that in bottom of PMP450m?  Do you run one of these for each AP?  Pictures?

Found this:

N000082L142A    SM 100m

Nowhere can I find a spec sheet etc that tells whats actually in this kit.

I've got a new tower build coming up in which I'm intending to run hybrid cables. Would the PTP 820's mini power adapter work on the PMP 450m PoE port?

Annotation 2020-04-07 175124.jpg

1 Like