Firmware question

Hello,

I’m just wondering what everyone had found to be the best firmware version for ePMP 1000. We currently run about 10 towers and 200 SMs on firmware 2.6.2 with a mix of 2.4GHz and 5GHz. We also use cnmaestro. Any advantage to a newer firmware? Any suggestions? Thanks!

We have about a dozen AP's, and just under 500 ePMP subs... we run 3.2.2 on everything (1000/2000 and on 5ghz and 2.4ghz)... we've really had very few issues... but some people are still saying that there are lingering DFS trigger issues, although we've never experienced this. There's also an SNMP memory leak issue that seems to effect some people but not others. I'd probably just start with one tower and a group of clients to see how it goes. Maybe try a non-DFS tower first.

I mentioned this in another post, but I'll repost it:

There are a few things that we do to ensure successful firmware upgrades.

1. Don't let your radios get too far behind the current/stable firmware version... the larger the gap between the radio's firmware and the current/stable, the more likely you are to have issues.

2. If the radio has a very high uptime... like many months or even years, reboot it first before attempting an upgrade.

3. Make sure that the radio is connected to a power source that you can remotely power cycle, like an APC power control unit, PacketFlux, or LastMile CTM. If it's a backhaul, make sure that whatever device powers it has a watchdog in place to auto-reboot it in case it stops responding.

4. In general, we make sure that all of our radios are configured with a minimal amount of services enabled... don't need syslog? disable it. Don't need SNMP? disable it. Don't need discovery/CDP/LLDP... disable it. Don't need SSH or telnet? Disable it.

In the entire time we've been adhearing to the above rules, we've never bricked an ePMP radio (or an Airmax radio for that matter), and we've never had to drive to a site to reboot a device... although, we have had to occasionally use our remote reboot devices, but it's pretty rare.

2 Likes

Hi Mr Eric,

Good Morning to you and how was your weekend? Thanks for this new article, it really educating, there is some thing I really want to ask.

I noticed some of our radio, here in do this reset without we iniating it. our customer will call to notify us they can browse, on visiting the customer we notice that his or her radio has reset, So we have to do a new config, if the customer is on our PPoe queue we have to input the service plan for him to come alive or if he or she is on the Static Queue, then we have to input that as well.

Would this be as a result of the new firmware that the radio was upgraded to? or what might be the cause.

Note: The AP might be on a old version 3.1vrs and the SM might be in the vrs of 3.2.1

Would that cause it??

I really appreciate a quick response to that.

@joewi wrote:

Hi Mr Eric,

Good Morning to you and how was your weekend? Thanks for this new article, it really educating, there is some thing I really want to ask.

I noticed some of our radio, here in do this reset without we iniating it. our customer will call to notify us they can browse, on visiting the customer we notice that his or her radio has reset

Hey joewi... my weekend was quite good, thank you for asking!

As far as the resets are concerned, the only way that people have noticed that radios can be reset to factory defaults is via a specific power on/off sequance outlined HERE. We've had people that have off-grid power systems OR when the local power company has power issues and the power sometimes cycles, it will cause the SM to reset. Later firmware revisions allow you to disable the power on/off reset sequance. I'm not sure when it was introduced.

1 Like