Force 180 Emission Designator

I need to determine the emission designator for a Force 180 antenna module operating in driver mode = TDD at bandwidth settings of 20 and 40 MHz.  I'm not sure what type of main carrier modulation the Force 180 uses in this mode (determines the fifth character of the designator code).  I'm also unsure of the nature of the main carrier modulation to determine the sixth character of the designator (single channel or multiple?, digital or analog modulation?, time-division multiplex?, uses a modulating sub-carrier?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would normally direct you to the FCC website for this information... however, due to the government shutdown, it doesn't appear to be operating.

I looked up the FCC ID number and the equipment authorization grants associated with it and there were no emission designators listed.  Am I missing something?

Our regulatory engineer tells me that emissions designators are not required for unlicensed products, and we have never had them.  What is the reason you are looking for this?

Our application involves deploying several of the Force 180 radios across part of a military airbase to support a research project with equipment that captures high-rate sensor telemetry data.  The airbase has it's own "governing body" that manages all the RF spectrum utilization on the base to assure critical equipment does not get interfered with.  We essentially need to apply for an allocated frequency band from them to operate on while on the airbase.  So, while this is technically unlicensed equipment, we still need to get the Air Force spectrum management office's blessing.  The application requires we list an emission designator to describe the nature of the transmissions from the antenna.  I think the military is just accustomed to working with licensed products, so this application is a bit of an odd-ball for their approval process.  All I really need, even if it is not "official", is the equivalent emission designator that describes the Force 180.  From that, the spectrum management office can decipher it to know the parameters they need to determine if we will play nice with other RF activity on the base (e.g. bandwidth, modulation type, data type, etc.).  Using the guidelines published for emission designators, I hoped I could figure it out on my own, but I don't know the specifics about the modulation scheme the Force 180 uses.  I need help determining the 5th and 6th character of the designator: http://www.swld.com.au/pages/emissions.pdf

Could someone help me select the appropriate symbols?

I have been doing FCC license for 2-way radio for 20 years now. Here is my understanding. There are only designators for emissions on licensed frequencies. Since the "WIFI" bands are unlicensed, there are no designators for 802.11b,g,n,ac, etc. 

If they are forcing you to use designators, I would use designators in attached pic. Will cover all your bandwidths and modulation. My experiene with the gov, is the more you throw at them the less they question you...so I would put all down and see what happens. I really do not think you are going to find a desinator for WIFI/802.11N since it is used on unlicensed frequencies and those designators are only used on FCC -LICENSE-. 

FCC Designators.PNG

On second thought, you will probably want to leave out the Pub Safety LTE designators.  The words "Public Safety" may raise the interest of some young gung-ho career Air Force person and raise questions. 

If I were doing this, I would suppose the following: 

The Force 180 is an 802.11n product, supporting OFDM modulation. As it does many channel bandwidths, you could list something like the following:

5M00D1D

10M0D1D

20M0D1D

40M0D1D

1 Like

@CambiumMatt wrote:

If I were doing this, I would suppose the following: 

The Force 180 is an 802.11n product, supporting OFDM modulation. As it does many channel bandwidths, you could list something like the following:

5M00D1D

10M0D1D

20M0D1D

40M0D1D

Nice...all my license are under 1Ghz. I have no reference material with these designators.