Force300 ePTP LINK - - - Reason: 53 (AP KEEP ALIVE RX STUCK)

I have a 27 KM ePTP link (Force 300c - Force 300c) which keeps disconnecting with:

> Reason: 53 (AP KEEP ALIVE RX STUCK)

I have many other Force300 Point-to-Point links which seem to be fine, but this one I can't seem to resolve this.  The signals -52 and the SNR is -37 and it'll pass 200+ Mbit either way, with DS9 modulations... but then it'll drop the link with this message.

FWIW, I can't really run the Spectrum Analyzer to try to find a clean channel... it crashes with 'spectral tools' FUBAR, plus the throughput test works sometimes - - but sometimes says ''another user has started...''.  So it's pretty difficult actually test & diagnose issues, or find a clear channel.

However, when the link test does work, and when I get 210 Mbit either way, it seems like the channel is relatively clear - - - but then it'll drop with the 'Reason: 53 AP KEEP ALIVE RX STUCK' error.

Is this a known cause?

1 Like

Well - I tried most of the night to get this ePTP link to stabilize, and for whatever strange reason... I couldn't find a setting which worked.  I could get ~210 mbit either way through it, but under load, lots of the packets would end up dropping to MCS5 or MCS6, plus it would do this 'AP KEEP ALIVE RX STUCK' and disconnect.

SO, I switched the Force300c "TDD PTP" at 75%/25% and on this link, that just rocks.  I am now getting 250+ Mbit downlink, and 60+ Mbit uplink (at 27KM) and it's been solid since switching it at... 4 AM, and it's 11:20 AM now.  Latency is about 4ms average (with customer data going across the link) so that's not horrible at 27km either.

1 Like

same here i open a ticket with cambium friday. They suppose to give me a follow up today

@PCaddict wrote:

same here i open a ticket with cambium friday. They suppose to give me a follow up today

OK, cool.  I ended up switching this link to 'TDD PTP' and on this particular link, the throughput went up in TDD mode, and it's working great - - over 310 Mbit aggregate throughput in 40Mhz at 27+ KM.  BUT, I'd still be interested to hear what the problem and the fix was for the ePTP mode. :)

just to be curious i try to figure out the problem i experience sith the f300 since release. I use it with mikrotik powerbox each end . And im only stable when i run the f300 at 100 mbps ethernet port... i just wanna know what you use each end and do you still stable at tdd?

I am using RB 4011 on each end, and we are Rock solid.

-52 and the SNR is -37 

At 27km  what size dishes / power / EIRP are you pushing ?   I assume this isn't FCC land ? 

This problem has actually been happening since 3.5.2.  4.4.1 is the first software where this message was finally added to give a little bit more detail.  Makes these devices pretty much unusable.  3.5.1 works perfectly.  We've tried every single version since 3.5.1 and narrowed it down to somewhere between 3.5.1 and 3.5.2 that this issue was introduced.

Unfortuantely, with the new MAC range on the CPEs, you now can only use 3.5.6 or later which leaves us with no solution.

I have found that this has nothing to do with receive signal level or MCS.  I have subs that are nice and hot (-50) and ones that are not good at all (-78) and all different distances out to 9 miles or more.  Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the CPEs disconnecting and showing this alarm.

I just got a 4pk of f300-25's for use as CPE in ptmp. doing the same thing. rock solid for 15 mins then drops, sometimes is back within the watchdog limit and resumes the connection, but most of the time it drops and has to fully re-reg. tested a F300-19 just to be sure and it does this too, but not as often. just for giggles tried these with a 3000L and a 1000-lite, both running 4.5. still does it regardless of th AP, same reason rxstuck!

can we get a mod to chime in?

Update i talk with cambium and manage to get a remote session with them they conclude to a hardware problem and ask for rma... They said the same thing last year about the same problem. I swap the the radio but got the same results.  But i was sure that isn't the case is a software problem. So i continue my investigation... I use this ptp link to  transport a vpls tunnel contain pppoe traffic between two mikrotik via a vlan. So i upgrade the mikrotik pppoe server to the last version and now i got a different problem... i didn't get rx stuck now but the bridge seem to be stop working after a day... The ap and the sm still work i can see from the mikrotik the ap and the sm from each side but the two mikrotik stop seeing each other....

Hi, 

same problem here (F300-25) disconnecting every few minutes with

aid=1 disassociated. Reason: 53 (AP KEEP ALIVE RX STUCK)

Changed from ePTP to TDD fixed the issue.
What is that error?

Thank you

@MW_WISP wrote:

Hi, 

What is that error?

Thank you

Hi,

Most likely there are heavy losses on the link, what was mistakenly recognized as traffic stuck by the system.

The issue has been solved in the latest 4.5.4-RC7.

Were you running any earlier FW version?

Thank you.

@Fedor wrote:

@MW_WISP wrote:

Hi, 

What is that error?

Thank you

Hi,

Most likely there are heavy losses on the link, what was mistakenly recognized as traffic stuck by the system.

The issue has been solved in the latest 4.5.4-RC7.

Were you running any earlier FW version?

Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your reply

Yes, we were using 4.5 firmware. What do you mean with "heavy losses on the link"? If we try the beta are we going to experience same number of disconnections but with a different reasons?

It's my assumption.

No, I guess you will not see disconnects on 4.5.4-RC7.

Thank you.

@MW_WISP wrote:

The only way we were able to get stability and performance on our Force300 point-to-point links was with TDD mode. In ePTP mode, as soon as the links got about half full with real bi-directional traffic, the performance went totally out the window for us (your mileage may vary). In TDD mode 75%/25% they are working great for us - although at the expense of a bit higher latency. Still - in TDD mode, we get about 310 MegaBit aggregate throughput in 40Mhz mode, with about 4ms latency. So that's OK for our needs.

@ninedd wrote:

In ePTP mode, as soon as the links got about half full with real bi-directional traffic, the performance went totally out the window for us (your mileage may vary). In TDD mode 75%/25% they are working great for us - although at the expense of a bit higher latency. Still - in TDD mode, we get about 310 MegaBit aggregate throughput in 40Mhz mode, with about 4ms latency. So that's OK for our needs.

Ouch! Did you try with new beta fw?

@MW_WISP wrote:

Ouch! Did you try with new beta fw?

Yes, I'm running 4.5.4-RC7 everywhere on my AC (3000/300 network).  If there are newer beta firmwares, I don't know. I'm supposed to get the latest builds automatically, but I never get them.

Anyway, in our situations, ePTP looked good at first, but:
a) F300 ePTP mode is incompatible with 1000/2000 ePTP mode
b) ePTP mode had about 50% retransmissions under load, with real-world traffic.

Doing nothing else (not changing frequencies or widths) just changing to TDD mode and the performance dramatically improved.  For our existing F300C links, we're quite pleased with TDD. Lower latency would be better of course - but it's working pretty good.

I will tell you that the force 300 is crap, you will not find anyone to tell you that the equipment works well and without any error.

I have the same problem with “Reason: 53 (AP KEEP ALIVE RX STUCK)”

I already change to TDD PTP from ePTP. Anyone had resolved this kind of issue? I have another link using F300-25 but never got this issue.

Hi Edgar. We are using lots of Force300’s for PTP links. However, we put them all in TDD mode - we never had consistent results with ePTP mode in the 3000 series. In the 1000/2000 series, ePTP works like MAGIC, but on the Force300/ePMP3000 for us, ePTP is a totally different animal.

BUT, to answer your question, we have many many Force300 links (Force 300c and Force 300-25) and have no issues. Uptimes are until the next time power outage.