G722 Fails When Calling Between R190V or R200 and Any Other Device

G722 on the R200 / R190V appears to be broken. Calls between an R-Series router to other hardware (i.e., Cisco SPA series) using the G722 codec have terrible audio issues. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Support is questioning whether the other devices I'm using are causing the problems (I've tested Cisco, Panasonic, and an Android App). I'm very interested to hear the experience of others here.

Send below information which will help us to check codec/ sampling/clock rate mismatch behavior.

1. The packet capture of SIP invite event message of other devices( Cisco, Panasonic, and an Android App etc).
  2. R200/r190 device configuration and image version.

Regards

Niraj

Email id: niraj.mahapatra@cambiumnetworks.com

Does anyone have an example of the G722 codec working between an R-series router and any other device or PBX?

I can confirm this issue. I'll try to gather the requested packet captures next week if I can. The problem I experience is that one end of the call is high pitched, and the other end is low. 

My suspicion is that Cambium has folowed RFC 1890. Unfortunately, the RFC has an error in it. I found this on another page discussing a problem with g722:

"G.722, because of erroneously assigned in RFC 1890, its actual sampling rate is 16kHz but need to be defined as 8kHz in the SDP and also affecting its RTP timestamp clock rate. (RFC 3551 4.5.2)"

@seanmckenzie wrote:

My suspicion is that Cambium has folowed RFC 1890. Unfortunately, the RFC has an error in it. I found this on another page discussing a problem with g722:

"G.722, because of erroneously assigned in RFC 1890, its actual sampling rate is 16kHz but need to be defined as 8kHz in the SDP and also affecting its RTP timestamp clock rate. (RFC 3551 4.5.2)"

Thank you for confirming, that is exactly the problem. I also referenced RFC 3551 in my tickets, and they recently confirmed the G722 codec is erroneously running at 8 kHz and the possible fix is several months away (if at all). I really hope they follow through and repair the G722 implementation.

Please do provide test samples in a ticket and push for a repair.

This was repaired in recent firmware versions and is now working correctly in v4.5. Thank you for fixing this.

2 Likes