Good or Bad Noise Floors?

What would you guys  consider a good noise floor for 10 and 20 mhz to work well in epmp ap's 2.4 ghz world using sync. I would love to use 20mhz channels  with 4 sectors . My rocket 2.4 aps are  at -92 according to the web interface of the rocket ap. But this at 10mhz channels and with 3 sectors of 2.4 on the same tower. 

My ubnt 900 single 120 sector rocket gear is at -96 according to the web interface.

The maximum recommended RSSI back at the AP for GPS Synchronized operation is -60db, and you'll need about 30-32db of SNR to modulate at MCS15 rates.
So the best practice says that -90 is what you are looking for. -92 is a relativelly clean channel.

@Guilherme wrote:

The maximum recommended RSSI back at the AP for GPS Synchronized operation is -60db, and you'll need about 30-32db of SNR to modulate at MCS15 rates.
So the best practice says that -90 is what you are looking for. -92 is a relativelly clean channel.

Hi, 

That recommendation is for effective frequency reuse with two colocated APs front to back. You can go higher on the RSSI if you are not synchronizing the APs. Even with sync, you can try up to -55 as long as the performance on both APs are acceptable. Also if you have enough physical seperation or obstructions between the two APs (like a watertank or two edges of a building roof) you can go higher on the RSSI. 

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like