Help with 900 bands

I understand and have read the canopy manuals and one should when deploying a cluster use 906 - 915 - 924 band ranges. However we had a new system installed and the people installing it used 906 - 914 - 922 because they said there was some interference up around 924. Has anyone used this theory? And with this overlapping of bands, will this cause self-interference?

Yes and no. Ideally you want them on non-overlapping, but I have an AP that is in filthy spectrum and the only center channel clear enough to broadcast on and keep my clients online is 912. Everything is sync’d and I haven’t had a problem with it.

If you’re not using sync you can definitely bed you’ll create even more trouble for yourself.

900 is 8mhz wide, so its just tightening the channels together with no extra spacing between channels.

Now see the 1 extra mhz spacing here:
906 = 902-910
915 = 911-919
924 = 920-928

In your setup:
906 = 902-910
914 = 910-918
922 = 918-926

It should work fine, but you are cutting it close.

Shouldn’t be a problem which CMM it gets the timing from. He’ll want to use a coverage extender or something similar for the remote site though if he intends on passing sync. Otherwise, Packetflux would be the way to go to cost effectively provide sync for the new cluster.

Strange that my initial reply ended up above yours, Mike.

Anyway, to expand - the CMM isn’t a module specific timing device. All it does is temporarily disrupt the power signal given to the Canopy unit in order for the unit to figure out the timing pulse. After that, the Canopy hardware figures out the rest based on its control slots, max distance, etc.

so the end result is? If we have two CMM’s one that feeds the 900’s on main tower and another CMM feeding 5.7 backhaul shots to another group of 900 AP’s on a water tank less than three miles away, that the CMM’s don’t have to be daisy chained somehow?

mivy wrote:
so the end result is? If we have two CMM's one that feeds the 900's on main tower and another CMM feeding 5.7 backhaul shots to another group of 900 AP's on a water tank less than three miles away, that the CMM's don't have to be daisy chained somehow?

The only daisy chaining that needs to be done would be network related. Your GPS is handled separately (and as far as I know with the CMMs, you cannot pass GPS sync to another CMM unit anyway - each unit needs its own antenna).

Your only real concern is making sure that other set of 900 APs is sync'd properly.

Hi

I see you guys are using 900 Mhz? You should check out the a 17.5 and 14.5 Dbi Yagi antenna.

www.kpperformance.ca

Take care