Hotspot 2.0 / Passpoint - Why Use It Instead of Enterprise?

Is there any functional benefit to using Hotspot 2.0 / Passpoint instead of typical Enterprise authentication? What does it meaningfully do?

So far, it seems the only reason to use Hotspot 2.0 / 802.11u is for paid carrier offloading. I cannot think of another meaningful reason except if WPA3 is required (But I don’t see that happening for quite some time). What other reasons are there?

Thank you, Chris

I’m part of a large organization that owns many buildings. In-building cellular coverage is always a challenge and we have installed conventional cellular coverage solutions (BDA, DAS). Typically these only support one carrier. Real life implementation of multi-tenant, neutral host solutions seems very complicated. It would be great if we could get out of the DAS business and use WiFi instead, by having users connect with Hotspot 2.0 / Passpoint based on their carrier credentials (SIM). It seems to me like the technical building blocks are in place but we would need to be able to join a federation that includes the carriers in our area and this does not exist. I don’t know if the industry headed in this direction?

I can see the benefit of transparently connecting to a Hotspot 2.0 setup; but for your use case why wouldn’t you just run a standard WiFi network?

Aside from automatically connecting, what is the benefit of a Hotspot 2.0 system compared to just running standard PSK or Enterprise authentication for the users?

The beauty of HS2.0 is that you require little configuration in the UE, leaving all setup (SSID, Auth-Type, etc.) on the network side (ANQP Server/WiFi Controller).

So imagine you want to change SSID or Auth-Type for WiFi access you update the network, not the UEs.