This article explains the details related to enabling the spectrum analyzer and using the analyzer data to choose the best frequency.
The ePMP devices are unlicensed and are usually used in co-existence with other vendors/ devices using the same frequency.
Spectrum analyzer is a handy tool that is inbuilt in an ePMP AC and AX devices that can be used, without disrupting the live traffic (In rare cases, it may cause slowness or link drop).
The step-by-step process to enable the spectrum analyzer and how to use the report to select the best channel is mentioned below.
To enable the spectrum analyzer: Configure >> Tools >> Spectrum Analyzer >> enable and save
Run the spectrum analyzer for 15 mins and it should populate the information for user reference
You will get the data scanned by the analyzer, similar to the below image.
Note: You can choose different scanning modes: Light and Detailed:
- Light Mode - only Management Frames will be captured for Interferer detection. Some Interferers may not be discovered. Scanning results may slightly vary from actual environmental conditions.
- Detailed Mode - Management, Control, and Data Frames will be captured for Interferer detection. All Interferers will be discovered. Could cause performance degradation or even session drops.
- Select extreme low or High frequency.
- Run the spectrum analyzer for some time.
- You will get a list of all the available interferers.
The interference levels in the above sample are -82 and -46. Depending on the RSSI level, these (-46 dBm, -50dBm, etc) are sufficient to cause issues on the respective frequencies.
Try to find the clean frequency or least affected one, say we can choose 5055, 5150, etc as per the above scan result. This will ensure that the link is working at its optimum and give the best performance.