How to Onboard cnMatrix on cnMaestro On-Premise

Hi, can someone please share the steps to onboard cnMatrix switch on a cnMaestro on-Prem.
I am using the following switches;

1. cnMatrix EX1010-P, Intelligent Ethernet PoE+ Switch - Enterprise LAN switch
  2. cnMatrix EX2016M-P, Intelligent Ethernet PoE Switch - Enterprise LAN switch
  3. cnMatrix EX3028R-P, Intelligent Ethernet Switch - Enterprise LAN switch
  4. cnMatrix EX3052R-P, Intelligent Ethernet Switch - Enterprise LAN switch
  5. cnMatrix TX 2012R-P, Intelligent Ethernet PoE Switch, Cambium Sync - Tower switch
  6. cnMatrix TX 2020R-P, Intelligent Ethernet PoE Switch, Cambium Sync - Tower switch

Off the top of my head, you need to do:

1. Configure the IP adderess of cnMaestro on-prem in each switch.
  2. Claim each switch in the on-boarding tab in cnMaestro. On prem needs MAC address, I believe. Cloud cnMaestro needs serial number.
  3. Management of the switches are easiest when you create a switch group or switch groups for each type or location or job the switch is doing in your network.
  4. Before you approve the switch in cnMaestro when it comes online, edit the parameters you need unique in each switch by clicking on the pencil near the approval button. A dialogue box will open, and you can edit location, network parameters, any vlan routing you need to do, and the switch group you want to apply to the switch.
  5. When satisfied, press approve, and the configuration will be pushed down to the switch. If you’ve elected to update firmware, that will automatically happen also.
  6. Then, any changes you need to make in the switch should be made from the switch group. The changes will be pushed downstream to the switch. The added benefit is that using switch groups means you don’t have to worry about saving the configuration…any time the switch configuration does not match the switch group, the switch group will warn you that the switch is not synchronized, and you can initiate synchronization. If you had to replace the switch, you onboard the new switch into the same switch group the same way as the original switch, and the configuration is passed down.
    I also encourage you to use Policy Based Automation (which can be configured in the switch group). Using PBA, the switch can detect the device plugged into it in various ways (LLDP, MAC address, OUI), and configure the port the way it needs to be configured (hybrid, trunk, access, POE on, etc). When you remove the device, the port de-configures back to default.

Cambium switches are unique in this ability, and when used properly, they are very powerful devices.

3 Likes

Thanks for very clear and concise steps in your answer. I appreciate it very much.