How to set Minimum Signal for WiFi Connections?

Where is the setting to define the minimum signal necessary to allow a connection?

For example, if I want the router to only accept connections that have a singal greater than -70 dBm... where do I set that?

Thank you, Chris

Chris,

You have a few choices:

- You can enable enhanced roaming and set an SNR threshold in dB

- You can set a minimum unicast rate to prevent devices from being able to connect if they cannot establish a connection that meets or exceeds the set minimum unicast rate. This can be done in cnMaestro or in the device. In cnMaestro this is found in config->WLAN and AP groups -> WiFi AP groups.

Brian, this is not available in the R series routers...is it? 

@Cambium_Brian wrote:

Chris,

You have a few choices:

- You can enable enhanced roaming and set an SNR threshold in dB

- You can set a minimum unicast rate to prevent devices from being able to connect if they cannot establish a connection that meets or exceeds the set minimum unicast rate. This can be done in cnMaestro or in the device. In cnMaestro this is found in config->WLAN and AP groups -> WiFi AP groups.

Brian,

I'm not finding the settings as you have described. Would you please offer a more specific example?

Thank you, Chris

I think that the settings Brian provided are for the E series cnPilot devices. What device are you using uberdome?

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

The settings Brian provided are for the E series cnPilot devices. What device are you using uberdome?

If I was not mistaken, I thought I posted in the "cnPilot R Series" forum. If not, can this post be moved to that forum?

I am using R200 and R190 series devices.

Hi 

R-series does not have configuration to suit this use case specifically. 

However you may want to try reducing the Tx Power of the Radio to 75%

or lower to prevent far off devices from connecting to the Router.

thanks 

ashutosh

@ashutoshdatta wrote:

Hi 

R-series does not have configuration to suit this use case specifically. 

However you may want to try reducing the Tx Power of the Radio to 75%

or lower to prevent far off devices from connecting to the Router.

thanks 

ashutosh

When would that configuration be available?

Our default is to set Tx Power to 40%. For MDU installations, we set it to 1% and we still see users sharing passwords and connecting devices in the -80 dBm range (or worse). It would be very useful to be able to set the minimum connect signal to -70 or -75 dBm. Then, we could tweak it for various apartment complexes and reduce unauthorized service sharing.

Hi,

Can you create a support ticket, providing detailed requirements. We will be happy to evaluate this

feature.

thanks 

ashutosh 

1 Like