Instructions for using Raw Serial?

Looking at the latest manual (cnReach 01-42 User Guide April 16 2020) for instructions on the Raw Serial option for the RF link are pretty slim (see below for a copy/paste of the manual). Does Raw Serial only work for passing a single Serial Port across? The pictures that go along with the notes on PDF Page 80 make it seem that way.

NOTE: We are looking to pass several serial ports across (Master with a couple IO Expanders, and several field locations connection back to it).

PDF Page 79:
“Serial Only Mode
Serial only mode dedicates the whole RF channel exclusively to serial traffic. No IP traffic will be allowed through the wireless link.
To configure serial only mode, in the Radio Network Setting, configure protocol to be raw serial. Also assign a TCP listening port for internal serial traffic processing.”

PDF Page 80:
“On the serial service configuration page, create a serial client service, with the remote listening port point to the one set in the radio network configuration, use 127.0.0.1 as remote IP address”

Thank you in advance!

when you are using raw serial, you will not have IP connectivity via the wireless link. Do you really want that?

Yes that would be alright for our situation. We have no need or want for remote management on these links.

This is the screenshots for setup. Hope it helped.

1 Like

So in the case of Raw Serial you can only use a single Serial Port on the radio? That is what I had assumed based on the Manual and my own lab testing, but was hopeful you could use both as well as an IO Expander, but was pretty certain that required IP.

That is correct. The whole link is dedicated for one single serial connection. But I dont understand why you would want to go with this approach. We have very few customers using it. If you are concerning about bandwidth consumption, you can use seamless serial which pretty much remove most overhead and still allow you to transmit multiple serial connections.

1 Like

I will dig into Seamless Serial more. I had skimmed over it in the manual and will do so before deploying this to the field.