interference in crossing a lake.. -help please.. -newbie

We’re planning of setting-up a canopy2.4 but i’m worried because it crosses about 10km lake… just a lake… but i think it can be a problem…

Advice please… or any canopy-users have tried this?

I have Canopy 900s and have had success with stable links over water.

I paid careful attention to engineer the link such that the fresmel zone was well clear of the water (the water is even clear of the 2nd fresnel zone). Our most “impressive” customer is 18 miles from the AP with the middle 7 miles of the link over open water. That customer has been running for about 2 weeks now, and has had 1 re-registration.

900Mhz does pretty good over water i’ve got a shot over 17 miles that is reasonably stable. I also have 2.4 shooting over a simalar shot, fresmel zone is key on 2.4, 900 i’ve gotten away with alot more. I’ve found that closing the 2nd fresmel zone does drop overall signal strength but connections are MUCH more stable. All that said its never going to be as solid as a link over land, but you can come close enough to make is a workable system. We have backhaul feeding theese over water also, OFDM is the only way to go preferably orthogon, and spacial diversity gets you out to 5 nines.
Only problem i have now is 900mhz AP’s can’t support that many customers i’ve got 11 on there now and don’t think i’m going to be able to offer more then another 5-10 more on that site. If 7.2 came out…

Your worried about 11 customers on 1 900 AP? How much bandwidth are they expecting to see? We have around 30 on one of our 900 AP’s, and increasing every week.

We are offering then 384k bidirectional and 640k/400k down/up, I’m already seeing peak usage at 70% of capacity. I’m running 65% downlink right now so I get about a meg to share(remember I loose some timeslots with a max distance set to 20 miles). Most of these customers are business class so I won’t oversell like I would residential. If they pay the money; I’ll make sure they have the bandwidth. I get leery of overselling on such a small sample size anyway.

bellnab wrote:
We are offering then 384k bidirectional and 640k/400k down/up, I’m already seeing peak usage at 70% of capacity. I’m running 65% downlink right now so I get about a meg to share(remember I loose some timeslots with a max distance set to 20 miles). Most of these customers are business class so I won’t oversell like I would residential. If they pay the money; I’ll make sure they have the bandwidth. I get leery of overselling on such a small sample size anyway.

Then you need to be looking at file sharers and viruses/trojans cause that kind of loading is way beyond reasonable.