Interference

Hi everyone!!

I have a lot of problems with in my cells Canopy. The problems I have are interferences with others providers(ISPs) which work with the same frequecies and other link point-to-pont. I use the frequencies:5735, 5755, 5775 in my clusters, but some AP I had to change working in other frequency like 5840. I did this because some SM can not register in its correspondig AP.
What can I do to solve these problems?

You can destroy the competitions equipment :slight_smile:

You should use 25 mhz channels for advantage. Do a spectrum analysis and choose the best frequencies. Arange meeting with the competition and try to have agreements. If they won’t then put another AP just to f*ck them. Keep in mind that Canopy is far more tolerable to interference than other vendors.

We operate in many areas with 1-5 other WISP’s.

What we had to finally do was coordinate with all of them and do the following:

1. All AP’s are synced via GPS.
2. Matched Settings identically i.e. Control Slots, Downlink% and most importantly enable Transmit Frame Spreading.
3. Match the same frequencies for the same directions.

Once we did that, it is not uncommon for us to have clusters within 500 feet of each other with the same Freqs in the same directions.

One note, Hardware Scheduling and the Advantage Platform chew up Software Scheduling. So match if possible your neighbors.

–SDH

Try without transmit frame spreading. This option consumes useful bandwith.

Erkan,

I agree, Moto says that you will gain about 10% throughput on the SM with this feature disabled.

We have tried without it enabled and had far too many problems. One of our sites is smack dab in the middle of 4 overlapping WISPS, terrible decision IMO to build there, but the real estate was prime.

You simply cannot co-exist without enabling this unless I am missing something else that could be done.

–SDH

shaskins,

Lucky for us we don’t have real competition. There are about 150 our APs in the city and only 5 from competition. We have turned off the transmit frame spreading and there was no difference. Maybe because we have 8 non overlapping channels on 5.4 and good spectrum plan everything went OK.

Co-operation and co-ordination with other WISPs is required for multiple WISPs operating in the same area in the same RF spectrum regardless of the equipment used.

With Canopy you really need to make sure that the timing on the radios is consistent across all Canopy AP’s operating in the same band as shaskins indicated with the exception of enabling Transmit Frame Spreading. TFS should be used as a last ditch effort.

If you are getting interference from another WIPS, then I can guarantee you are interfering with them, either a little or alot. It’s in everyone’s interest to work together.

If you have a guy that will not work with you, and is disrupting your service you can file a complaint with the FCC. It will take several calls and/or letters to get them to get involved as they really don’t care about unlicensed.

Aiming a radio at them to disrupt their service will be counter=productive. These issues are best solved through diplomacy. In my mind, if it costs me 200 bucks to buy they guy a sync pipe and get him sync’d so that my customers are happy, then that’s cheap.

Well put Jerry and agreed.

–SDH

additional question on interference

I understand that to avoid self interference, all APs in the cluster should be in sync. That way all AP transmit and listens at certain time.

That applies to AP cluster, but are Base Stations in sync with each other assuming they are near each other operating at same freqs?

What do you do about a competitor that will not work with you and is also amplifying his AP’S?

That applies to AP cluster, but are Base Stations in sync with each other assuming they are near each other operating at same freqs?

If I understand the question, you are referring to CMM's operating in proximity?

CMM, CMMmicro, and PacketFlux SyncPipes get timing information from the GPS satellites and as such are all in sync with each other. As long as the AP's on each tower are configured the same, they will be in sync with each other.

This is the magic that makes Canopy so good.

Matched Settings identically i.e. Control Slots, Downlink% , miles

do all these have to be the same? even control slots?

mountainisp wrote:
What do you do about a competitor that will not work with you and is also amplifying his AP’S?

1. Measure the ERP from his tower. You will want to rent a real analyzer from Electro-Rent so that you can record the results and the equipment cannot be challenged.

2. Write a letter with the results enclosed to the WISP requesting they lower the Tx Power to LEGAL levels. Include the FCC codes stating max ERP values for the frequency they are operating in. Inform them that they have 1 week to comply.

3. If they do not comply, call the local FCC field office and inform them of the situation. Show them your letter and the ERP test results.

4. If you get no help hire a lawyer that specializes in FCC related issues.
Jerry Richardson wrote:

CMM, CMMmicro, and PacketFlux SyncPipes get timing information from the GPS satellites and as such are all in sync with each other. As long as the AP's on each tower are configured the same, they will be in sync with each other.

This is the magic that makes Canopy so good.

Thanks for the great info Jerry.

because we have a situation here wherein our isp have more stations concentrated on a target market, while our competitor have less. To cover most areas, our competitor extended their range-miles settings. So long as they operate on 25Mhz separation from our freq they won't do harm in our network, right?

Wrong.

Each ISP should be running GPS sync and have all AP’s configured with same DL%, Max Range, and Control Slots

OR

Use the Frame Calculator to determine alternate settings. Instructions can be found in the Operators Guide and the forum.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Wrong.

Each ISP should be running GPS sync and have all AP's configured with same DL%, Max Range, and Control Slots

OR

Use the Frame Calculator to determine alternate settings. Instructions can be found in the Operators Guide and the forum.

many thanks again for clarifying that.
overlapme wrote:
[quote="Jerry Richardson":31f797n3]Wrong.

Each ISP should be running GPS sync and have all AP's configured with same DL%, Max Range, and Control Slots

OR

many thanks again for clarifying that.[/quote:31f797n3]

is there any way to tell what a competitor's ap settings are?

No. You will have to work with them.

jerry, i have a problem with one of my VLAN SM it was all done well, i mean installation and configuration but to my surprise the radio will start replying and then start to break, i really don’t know the problem but i finally looked around the installation site and i found out that their was a radio of another isp crosswise mine. i said to myself that, this will be the problem since the Fresnel zone will be intercepting each other. so please, don’t be carried by this that is what i taught.

i am i wrong? or is it the cause.