IP Cameras over Canopy PTMP

Hi Guys,

I am working on a project that will have to transport 30 ip cameras over a wireless plataform; My first choice is Canopy PTMP but one of the project designers is insisting that PTMP plataform becomes un efficient when you configure the uplink with a higher percentago that the downlink.
His recomendation if we want to use Canopy is thet we install a BH on each camera; but this makes the project too expensive.

Any thoghts about this please???

Adolfo

are the designers talk ptmp wlan in general or are they talking directly about canopy and are they experienced in this?

If you can get in th 5.x spectrum and they dont want canopy alvarion VL will have absolutlye no problem handling it, it will however raise the price somewhat, but nothing near the extreme of BH to each joint, not to mention the BH scenatio would run out of spectrum at the centrsal point before you had them all up

That is absolutely not correct. I have done many systems using Canopy PTMP equipment. If you would like details you can PM me

I wrote a post on this exact subject a while back.

I cannot recall but you should be able to search it out. It discusses the details of running IP cameras over Canopy.

Doing this all depends on how much bandwidth you have. I would only use the Advantage Platform products on both the AP and the SM. Fine tuning the link will result in satisfactory performance.

The problem here is that we are an isp with a wireless plataform running on it; and we don’t want one cust. to take all the bandwith available.

I would not transport the cameras over an ISP network. A dedicated Canopy Network for the camera system is what would have to be done to achive full motion video from all cameras. Depending on the type of video encoding and frame rate you could possibly run a limited service through the ISP system. For example a camera using MPEG-4 or H263 and a frame rate of 5fps would use les than 250kps.

amarriott wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am working on a project that will have to transport 30 ip cameras over a wireless plataform; My first choice is Canopy PTMP but one of the project designers is insisting that PTMP plataform becomes un efficient when you configure the uplink with a higher percentago that the downlink.
His recomendation if we want to use Canopy is thet we install a BH on each camera; but this makes the project too expensive.

Any thoghts about this please?????

Adolfo

How much bandwidth are you anticipating on using? How much can you dedicate to this customer? Are the cameras located at a single site? If you used the 5.x spectrum then Canopy PTP & PTMP non-Advantage is capable of 7Mbps aggregate; advantage will do 14Mpbs aggregate. I'd like to think one BH link (PTP) would be all that you'll need. Depending on the distance from the site to the tower you may be able to use a 27RD reflector ($50-$75ea). Otherwise get connectorized BH's and some dishes.

*edit* Added reference to PTP

I agree with mobilecomm. Canopy PTMP products will work fine for this scenario, but you’d have to really drop the downlink ratio to 30% or less in order to achieve higher upload (depending on cameras-per-AP, frequency band and Advantage/non). This utilization of bandwidth is opposite to how most ISPs deliver service.

Dedicated backhauls per camera is just absurd - there is no good reason to spend all that money and have a zillion antennas at one tower (magically using the same frequencies…) when PTMP would work fine.

When you say 7Mbps or 14Mbps aggregate is that per connection to the access point, per channel, or total?
Sorry to hi-jack but doing a simular scenario currently.
16 cameras, 2-2.5Mbps 12fps at 2048x1536 H.264 each.

Not used the canopy before only PTP.

The aggregate speed is the total supported by the AP. Actual throughput is dependent upon rate adaption (1x/2x/3x), link quality, and a lot of other settings on the AP that are in the manual :slight_smile:

When doing system design I use 2Mps bandwidth per camera. I have had as many as 4 cameras on a single SM but not more than 10 cameras per AP. I have several systems using up to 50 cameras using PTMP. These are full culsters although not always in a 360 degree configuration. They have worked flawlessly. By taking advantage of most cameras extensive configuration systems we have made efficent use of the available bandwidth. Things like lowering frame rate and increasing it upon detection of motion is a good way to maximize the available bandwidth.

If you’re estimating ~2Mbps per cam then a single PTP58500 Lite 50Mbps ($6K) would be a more ideal solution.

That would be true if all cameras would be wired together to a single centeral location, most of the deployments I do it is not realalistic. The PTMP solution alows for a quick installation and I have found that alot of these lack the existing network infastucture necessary to accomadate such a deployment.

Sorry, my post was meant for Privatteer.

You could go with Canopy 400 (5.4GHz OFDM) or wait for Canopy 430 (5.7GHz OFDM).

jwelch wrote:
If you're estimating ~2Mbps per cam then a single PTP58500 Lite 50Mbps ($6K) would be a more ideal solution.

16 different links makes for a busy tower, and would take most of the available channels.
Privatteer wrote:
[quote="jwelch":1rvh1xnt]If you're estimating ~2Mbps per cam then a single PTP58500 Lite 50Mbps ($6K) would be a more ideal solution.

16 different links makes for a busy tower, and would take most of the available channels.[/quote:1rvh1xnt]

I can't tell whether you agree or disagree, but to clarify the PTP500 link would be for the entire site and not per cam.